Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teh_Genius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Hey all,

I've got a top end 2012 15"MBP that I'm looking to replace with a newer model a little later this year.
I might wait for this rumored 16" model, but since that is still a rumor and not out yet I wanted some secondary advice.

Ive watched plenty of YouTube videos warning against upgrading to the i9 over the i7 processors in these new machines. I generally like getting the newest and best machines when upgrading.

I do a lot of heavy Photoshop, Lightroom, and some Video Rendering as a graphic designer. Are there any other "Photo" professionals that have upgraded to one of these new machines?

I was originally looking at the top end i9 15" with 32gb Ram and upgraded processor for a meager $3,500 but from what I've read, I might be just as well off with the i7 base 15" with upgraded RAM for only $2,800.

Any thoughts on the matter?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Always go with the i7.

Personally I'm waiting for the 16" and as soon reviews be out and be among what I like I'll pull the trigger on it.

Teh_Genius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Always go with the i7.

Personally I'm waiting for the 16" and as soon reviews be out and be among what I like I'll pull the trigger on it.

I might just do that. If the 16" isn't great then the i7 hypothetically would be discounted which is even better. Hopefully there is a design change to better cool the machines for the i9 processors.

LongShots88

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2019
Hey all,

I've got a top end 2012 15"MBP that I'm looking to replace with a newer model a little later this year.
I might wait for this rumored 16" model, but since that is still a rumor and not out yet I wanted some secondary advice.

Ive watched plenty of YouTube videos warning against upgrading to the i9 over the i7 processors in these new machines. I generally like getting the newest and best machines when upgrading.

I do a lot of heavy Photoshop, Lightroom, and some Video Rendering as a graphic designer. Are there any other "Photo" professionals that have upgraded to one of these new machines?

I was originally looking at the top end i9 15" with 32gb Ram and upgraded processor for a meager $3,500 but from what I've read, I might be just as well off with the i7 base 15" with upgraded RAM for only $2,800.

Any thoughts on the matter?
-------------------------------------------

I upgraded from a 2014 15" Retina MBP 2.2ghz quad i7/16gb ram to the
2019 15" 2.3ghz 8 core i9/32gb/Vega 20 and all I can say is I am very happy.

I too wanted to wait for the 16" MBP but honestly, if you value your time as a creator, just do it. It's so freeing being able to create without frustration & delay. Time is money they say, but for me it's sanity.

I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, & Premiere Pro often all at the same time :)

Teh_Genius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
-------------------------------------------

I upgraded from a 2014 15" Retina MBP 2.2ghz quad i7/16gb ram to the
2019 15" 2.3ghz 8 core i9/32gb/Vega 20 and all I can say is I am very happy.

I too wanted to wait for the 16" MBP but honestly, if you value your time as a creator, just do it. It's so freeing being able to create without frustration & delay. Time is money they say, but for me it's sanity.

I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, & Premiere Pro often all at the same time :)

Thats helpful. Im mainly seeing how much freelance side work I can get before I pull the trigger to make the price point less painful. My 2012 Machine is actually cranking along fine (2.6 i7 16gb RAM) but the battery is shot, and any video rendering takes forever, and when I connect a 4k monitor to it, it heavily effects the processing power, plus the power cables is essentially disintegrating haha.

I think I have the patience to wait since im not in a dire need for a new laptop but its coming sooner than later.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I'm not an expert in this regard, but maybe the Vega 20 is worth the price for your needs? Especially video editing and exporting should benefit greatly from it.

Teh_Genius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
I'm not an expert in this regard, but maybe the Vega 20 is worth the price for your needs? Especially video editing and exporting should benefit greatly from it.

My video editing is mainly Photoshop tutorials and stuff like that. Im just recording the videos on my 4k screen so its rendering out 4k video which takes FOREVER on my 2012 machine haha.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
For Photoshop and Lightroom you won't see much of a difference between the i7 and the i9. I don't know about the video work, tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.