Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirtin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I am receiving a apple refurbished/new ipad and planning to upgrading to iOS 12. My current ipad is iOS 11.4.1 and I created a backup. Can I restore from backup iOS 11.4.1 on iOS 12?

I want to try to get a clean install.
Thanks!

Shirtin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
You can restore from your 11.4.1 backup.

I wouldn't call restoring from a any backup a "clean install", however.

Why not? I assume it only stores the information that is kept on top of the apps?
How can i do a clean install then without using a backup?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Why not? I assume it only stores the information that is kept on top of the apps?
A clean install is setting the device up sans backup and downloading all of your apps manually. The nice thing is nowadays a lot of app data is stored in the cloud so it's not as tedious of a process as it used to be.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Setting it up as new is a clean install. Using a backup restores all your settings, files and data; along with any potential corruption issues.

Reactions: BrianBaughn

Shirtin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I just setup my replacement iPad using the new install option! Didn’t even understand what that was for so many years! Been using iPads since iPad 3

Reactions: s15119

Shirtin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
It fixed a lot of issues setting it up as a new iPad. One where it kept changing the name of my iPad every time I did a hard restart. It also seems like all the small bugs went away also! Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.