Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I would like to get an iPad Air. I currently have an iPad 3 with a grandfathered $30 unlimited AT&T data plan that dates back to the original iPad. The iPad 3 has a micro SIM, so I won't be able to just transfer the SIM to the new Air. Does anyone know if it's possible to keep the old data plan? How does the setup work for cellular data when moving to a new iPad? I have had bad luck in the past with the people at the AT&T store messing up phone plans. I'd rather know the procedure in advance, and I'd prefer to avoid involving the AT&T reps as much as possible.

TauntingBull

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Has anyone tried this yet? Moving the grandfathered at&t unlimited data plan to the the ipad air?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Has anyone tried this yet? Moving the grandfathered at&t unlimited data plan to the the ipad air?

You can do it online on your Air. Just go to the ATT account site where you set up your wireless service and move your service. I have done it many times and you're grandfathered plan move with ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.