Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Maybe I haven't used Launchpad since upgrading to Sierra, I'm not sure, but today I noticed for the first time that my apps and folders in Launchpad are an absolute, complete mess, with multiple pages of unorganized icons. My custom folders are there, but they're all empty. All my apps are all over the place outside of the folders.

Back when Launchpad came out years ago I spent weeks organizing it, carefully dragging icons onto each other one by one using the crappy interface, creating folders, and cursing while I got it all to look like I wanted. Since then I have actually grown to like it and use it a lot thanks to how well I organized it. I do not, ever, want to have to re-do this again. Ever. I use Time Machine specifically to avoid having to do miserable crap like this more than once in this short life.

So let's get to the point. What file do I copy from my pre-Sierra backup and where do I put it, to restore my Launchpad layout to be exactly how it was before Sierra? Or, what else can I do?

I found some articles about a certain weird named file in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock, but its last modified date is in 2014 so I doubt it's that. My Launchpad layout has been modified plenty of times since then.

Thanks!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Maybe I haven't used Launchpad since upgrading to Sierra, I'm not sure, but today I noticed for the first time that my apps and folders in Launchpad are an absolute, complete mess, with multiple pages of unorganized icons. My custom folders are there, but they're all empty. All my apps are all over the place outside of the folders.

Back when Launchpad came out years ago I spent weeks organizing it, carefully dragging icons onto each other one by one using the crappy interface, creating folders, and cursing while I got it all to look like I wanted. Since then I have actually grown to like it and use it a lot thanks to how well I organized it. I do not, ever, want to have to re-do this again. Ever. I use Time Machine specifically to avoid having to do miserable crap like this more than once in this short life.

So let's get to the point. What file do I copy from my pre-Sierra backup and where do I put it, to restore my Launchpad layout to be exactly how it was before Sierra? Or, what can I do?

Thanks!
I understand that you might be very angry about losing the Launchpad layout, but I am very surprised that people actually do exist that use Launchpad in the first place!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I understand that you might be very angry about losing the Launchpad layout, but I am very surprised that people actually do exist that use Launchpad in the first place!

You're right, I really hated it for a long time too. Then I took a deep breath and "gave it a try" by organizing everything. Took ages, and lots of patience. I've done frustrating things before in life but this was a whole 'nother level.

But since then it's a nice place to put all the obscure apps that I can't remember the names of, but also don't like to have on the dock. Going to "Applications" means scrolling through a lot of stuff I don't use and it just takes too long. I just want to have 10-20 apps right there in one place next to each other. Some apps don't like to be taken out of their app folders so I can't even put them where I like. Finder sometimes sucks at remembering custom icon locations. Aliases would be nice but somehow Macs doesn't like aliases (update the app and its alias may stop working).

rudychidiac

Suspended
May 2, 2012
Lebanon
I have the same problem, have you found any solution for that? I gave up rearranging it, until i make sure it's fixed!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I have the same problem, have you found any solution for that? I gave up rearranging it, until i make sure it's fixed!
Haven't found a solution yet... There's got to be a file somewhere that contains the information, but I can't figure out what/where that file is. In previous versions of OS X it was in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock but that's no longer the case...

I think Launchpad in general is very flawed, with no ability to quickly reorganize it. It should be like the Finder, where you can drag things around properly, select multiple items, and copy/paste icons. Right now it's like the home screen in iOS, except with way more apps and utilities. While in iOS I can deal with one or two dozen apps, in OS X there needs to be a better way.

rudychidiac

Suspended
May 2, 2012
Lebanon
Haven't found a solution yet... There's got to be a file somewhere that contains the information, but I can't figure out what/where that file is. In previous versions of OS X it was in ~/Library/Application Support/Dock but that's no longer the case...

I think Launchpad in general is very flawed, with no ability to quickly reorganize it. It should be like the Finder, where you can drag things around properly, select multiple items, and copy/paste icons. Right now it's like the home screen in iOS, except with way more apps and utilities. While in iOS I can deal with one or two dozen apps, in OS X there needs to be a better way.

Sigh, well all we can do is notify Apple about the bug. Going to file a report. Good luck!

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Going to "Applications" means scrolling through a lot of stuff I don't use and it just takes too long. I just want to have 10-20 apps right there in one place next to each other.

Option 1) Select Applications. Then start typing the name of the app you want. This takes you directly to that app. No scrolling.
Option 2) Assign a Tag to your favorite apps. Then in the sidebar, select the tag to show your favorite apps.
Option 3) Use Spotlight to launch your favorite apps. Command-space then start typing name of app. Hit Return to launch.
Option 4) Use LaunchBar to launch apps. not free
Option 5) Get XMenu (free) has a launcher for apps, files, folders.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Option 1) Select Applications. Then start typing the name of the app you want. This takes you directly to that app. No scrolling.
Option 2) Assign a Tag to your favorite apps. Then in the sidebar, select the tag to show your favorite apps.
Option 3) Use Spotlight to launch your favorite apps. Command-space then start typing name of app. Hit Return to launch.
Option 4) Use LaunchBar to launch apps. not free
Option 5) Get XMenu (free) has a launcher for apps, files, folders.

Never thought of using tags in this way, good idea actually!

Reactions: PhiLLoW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.