Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticECHO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
I just recently bought a G4 Powerbook w/ Superdrive. It came with Panther, but through Apple's "Up-to-Date" program, I can upgarde to Tiger for $9.95 (already ordered, it better be on the way!)

My Powerbook came bundled with iLife installed; no CDs were included. If I install Tiger will I lose iLife? (that would be horrible! I use Garageband 2 almost everyday).

I know I can do an "OS Upgrade" install option with the Tiger DVD, but, what if I want to do a clean install? What should I do?

SIDE NOTE: I've noticed that DVDs aren't that sharp when played on fullscreen on my Powerbook. The edges of things are actually a bit pixelated :(

I'm currently running it at 1280x854 on a Radeon 9700. (Powerbook itself is running on a G4 1.67ghz and the DVD plays through an 8x SuperDrive) Everything else looks amazing, just DVDs. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Your best bet is simply to upgrade to Tiger, thus preserving iLife. There are apps/workarounds for pulling individual packages off of the install disks for Panther, but I don't see why an upgrade wouldn't work for you. If you're worried, do a clean install off the disks that came with your Mac, then immediately upgrade to Tiger.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you just upgrade the OS, all of your applications, data and setting will be let as they were. If you want to be extra-prudent, back up all of your data. Repairing permissions first is a good idea.

acousticECHO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
QUESTION

...I may be just confused. Does iLife come INCLUDED ON THE DISC with Panther and/or Tiger???

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
acousticECHO said:
...I may be just confused. Does iLife come INCLUDED ON THE DISC with Panther and/or Tiger???

This is something I didn't quite understand until I made a call to Apple.

First of all, iLife is NOT included on the Tiger DVD you are about to get.

But.

iLife is on your system disks that came with your computer. To re-install iLife, simply put the disks in and run Install Applications and Classic Support.

You can then choose what you want to re-install.

Of course, if you don't do a clean install of Tiger ei you do a archive install or a upgrade and install, iLife will not be deleted.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
acousticECHO said:

No. But it will be on the restore CDs that came with your Mac, though you won't be able to use it for restoring only the applications without extracting the installers.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
IJ Reilly said:
No. But it will be on the restore CDs that came with your Mac, though you won't be able to use it for restoring only the applications without extracting the installers.

Right, they are on the restore discs, but actually you CAN restore very easily. You can reinstall the iLife applications without any extraction or jumping through hoops. Just put your DVD in and when it pops up, just click on "Install Bundled Software" and then you're on your way!

However, I would highly recommend an "Archive and Install." You'll get a clean installation of Tiger, and it will import all your applications (including iLife) for you. You need to click on "Options" from the Tiger install DVD to use this install type.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
Actually, all this is a moot point, the up-to-date program disc ONLY allows for upgrades from 10.3 - no clean installs. This ticked me off when I recieved my up to date kit. So if you have iLife now, you'll have it after the upgrade. Also the original system restore disc lets you install just iLife even if you were to buy Tiger new and do a clean install.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
ramuman said:
Actually, all this is a moot point, the up-to-date program disc ONLY allows for upgrades from 10.3 - no clean installs. This ticked me off when I recieved my up to date kit. So if you have iLife now, you'll have it after the upgrade. Also the original system restore disc lets you install just iLife even if you were to buy Tiger new and do a clean install.

Really? My up-to-date disk allowed me to do a clean install. It was the option before the Archive and Install option at the setup screen.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
ramuman said:

The option's there. You do have to click on "Options" (to the left of "Continue") after agreeing to the license in order to see it. I would think this is covered in the installation guide?

gdl96

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
new jersey
Let me just get this straight. If I do a clean install of Tiger, will I be able to re-install iLife '04 from the disks that came with my PB? I plan to get '05 in a few weeks, but until then, I need iPhoto, etc.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
gdl96 said:
Let me just get this straight. If I do a clean install of Tiger, will I be able to re-install iLife '04 from the disks that came with my PB? I plan to get '05 in a few weeks, but until then, I need iPhoto, etc.

Yup, to reinstall bundled application run Install Additional Applications and Classic Support from the first Disc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.