Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

only4midi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2023
Ciao,
as i wrote in the title i have an old 2008 alluminium mac book, upgraded thanks to dosdude tool to Catalina 10.15

Keeping in mind that I only use it to develop websites (front&backend) and games (with GMS Studio) if I were to upgade to Ventura or Monterey or Big Sur would I gain in performance, stability or anything else?

Or would I be better off staying with Catalina?

Thanks

Grumpus

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2021
I have a 2008 aluminum MacBook, currently running Monterey 12.6.2 installed on an SSD via OCLP 0.6.1. It's very, very slow, even after allowing the Spotlight indexing to settle down. There are frequent long periods of 'beach-balling' during which you can't do anything at all. By 'long periods' I mean up to 30 seconds. For me, it's all but useless.

Reactions: only4midi

only4midi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2023
oh damn! I have upgraded the ram to 8gb and i have too a ssd but if you advise against them then
I continue with catalina as long as I can
thanks for your contribution

Grumpus

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2021
Mine also has 8 gigs of ram, and there is no swapping. Much of the slowness probably stems from the lack of graphics acceleration with the non-Metal-capable graphics chip. This laptop runs High Sierra like a champ.

Swapping disks in these laptops is pretty easy, so you could just pop in another ssd and try it.

only4midi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2023
I don't think our 2008 macbook supports 2 ssd, unless one is external.

Before installing monterey did you try big surf?
Ventura do you think it is even slower?

By the way the graphics card was nvidia so not to bad (when compared to intel or other integrated)

Grumpus

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2021
I don't think our 2008 macbook supports 2 ssd, unless one is external.

Before installing monterey did you try big surf?
Ventura do you think it is even slower?

By the way the graphics card was nvidia so not to bad (when compared to intel or other integrated)
No, your laptop supports only 1 internal drive, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Running from a usb 2 connected external drive would make things even slower. And no, I didn't try Big Sur or Ventura. I don't know if Ventura would be slower, but I doubt it'd be any faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.