Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi guys,

Of course logging out of iCloud and back in is nothing you do very often but if it has to be done easily the most annoying thing for me is that my entire photo library gets re-uploaded again because apparently iOS doesn't realize that nothing changed after logging out and is assuming that every media on my devices is new. This process takes many hours to complete.

So I just had the idea to erase the library on the device after logging out so after logging in it should now just download the files right? And that should go faster. Anyone that has tried this before?

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I think when it shows „uploading“ it’s not actually uploading anything in this case, it seems to scan the library to check if those photos are already uploaded. If anything, their wording is wrong and should show something like „indexing ...“ instead

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Maybe it's like
Uploading image 1 --> Oh, already there
Uploading image 2 --> Oh, also already there etc. ?

Either way, it takes seemingly forever. My upload activity consists of many, many small spikes.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I agree - the time required is the process of comparing the library on your phone to the library in iCloud. iCloud treats this as a merger of libraries, and the work of merging to avoid duplication can take time.

Yes, it could go faster if you deleted the photos while signed out of iCloud Photos (you certainly wouldn't want to do that while signed in). People don't follow this path all that often, but there are lots of people setting up new devices or Erasing All Content and Settings on a regular basis - pretty much the same approach, but global in its reach.

Speed of restore after an erase can be very fast, assuming you're using Optimize Storage rather than Download and Keep Originals, since Optimize Storage will only be downloading thumbnails (high-quality files will only download if/when you view them individually). I have little doubt that a file-by-file compare is going to take longer than a mass download of thumbnails.

Reactions: chris4565
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.