Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aventureen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2021
Hi all,
I am desperate for any help at this point o_O and would appreciate any help given (Hi, I'm new to the forums, nice to meet you all ❤️)

I have a Macbook 2020 and a canon G7X Mk II and I am wanting to upload videos and images to my MacBook. I am now running the Big Sur update also. I have looked at so many different tutorials of how to transfer images, can find nothing that will work. I wondered if anyone out there might have any insight on this issue? (Image capture won't recognise when camera is plugged in. Just an FYI)

Many thanks :)
Nic

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Have you tried Photos 6 App - are you connecting the camera with a cable to the Mac? Seems like you are?

In the Photos App on your MacBook Air - the camera should show up with all the current images - you should be able to transfer them to the Photos Library.

Another Alternative is open Preview and look for the import from "Camera" "iPhone" etc

Photos is great for organizing and storing your images

Ignacio Russo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
Hi. Exactly what accessories do you have in order to connect your Macbook to your camera, are you trying to use WIFI? Or do you have an USD-C memory card reader or an USC-C adaptor?

Last edited:

aventureen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2021
Have you tried Photos 6 App - are you connecting the camera with a cable to the Mac? Seems like you are?

In the Photos App on your MacBook Air - the camera should show up with all the current images - you should be able to transfer them to the Photos Library.

Another Alternative is open Preview and look for the import from "Camera" "iPhone" etc

Photos is great for organizing and storing your images
No I haven't tried that, but I'll get straight on it. I have been connecting via a cable rather than WiFi.

I have looked on image capture and the camera isn't even showing up as being connected. I have installed `Big Sur' so I am wondering if that update has any effect on this? It's weird. I am however new to owning a Mac again hence being clueless :D

Thank you :)

aventureen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2021
Hi. Exactly what accessories do you have in order to connect your Macbook to your camera, are you trying to use WIFI? Or do you have an USD-C memory card reader or an USC-C adaptor?
USC-C adaptor. I've tried WiFi but there's no drivers to download from Canon that supports the "Big Sur" update for my camera. It's all really frustrating :(.

Ignacio Russo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
USC-C adaptor. I've tried WiFi but there's no drivers to download from Canon that supports the "Big Sur" update for my camera. It's all really frustrating :(.

I had the same problem (many times with many cameras) the only way I made it work was with an USB-C SD adaptor. Before that you may try using 'command+spacebar' and enter to 'diskutiliy' and check if your camera appears as a disk.

richardt1994

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
Hello Nic,
I remove the SDXC card from my camera and plug it into a USB SD Card reader. It then appears as a disk
on my desktop. I then use XNViewMP to downloaded the images into folders. I have configured XNViewMP
to create YYYY-MM-DD folders based on the EXIF date from the images. One done, I eject the SDXC card
and remove it from the card reader. (This also works for video files as well as image files)

I tried using macOS Photos, but the large number of images I have means that my MBP is constantly being
hammered by the photoanalysisd process as it tries to analyse all of my photos. I therefore gave up using
photos and just keep my images in a folder structure \YYYY\MM\DD and append a description so that I end
up with something like "\2020\05\2020-05-29 Eve's Birthday Party". I then use Apollo One as a viewer.

This works well for me with Canon and Nikon, but I am sure there are other ways. I am still running Catalina
on my MBP, but the above should work with Big Sur.

Cheers,
Richard.

aventureen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2021
I had the same problem (many times with many cameras) the only way I made it work was with an USB-C SD adaptor. Before that you may try using 'command+spacebar' and enter to 'diskutiliy' and check if your camera appears as a disk.
I tried the disk utility and it wasn't coming up. I have a feeling this new update *might* be a reason it's not working? I have found a way round it though. I was uploading to my android from my camera so I installed "android file transfer' I connect my phone via USB-C and can drag and drop the files that way. Not ideal but it works :).
Thank you so much for your help :)

aventureen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2021
Hello Nic,
I remove the SDXC card from my camera and plug it into a USB SD Card reader. It then appears as a disk
on my desktop. I then use XNViewMP to downloaded the images into folders. I have configured XNViewMP
to create YYYY-MM-DD folders based on the EXIF date from the images. One done, I eject the SDXC card
and remove it from the card reader. (This also works for video files as well as image files)

I tried using macOS Photos, but the large number of images I have means that my MBP is constantly being
hammered by the photoanalysisd process as it tries to analyse all of my photos. I therefore gave up using
photos and just keep my images in a folder structure \YYYY\MM\DD and append a description so that I end
up with something like "\2020\05\2020-05-29 Eve's Birthday Party". I then use Apollo One as a viewer.

This works well for me with Canon and Nikon, but I am sure there are other ways. I am still running Catalina
on my MBP, but the above should work with Big Sur.

Cheers,
Richard.
Hi Richard :). I don't have an SD card reader as yet (I do think having a multiport would be useful). I did find a way round it, thankfully. I transfer from camera to phone, from phone to Mac via Android file transfer app. A bit frustrating it's not as straight forward as plugging it in and exporting direct.

Thank you so much for replying and for your help. Hopefully this thread is useful to anyone having similar/same issues :)

Reactions: Ignacio Russo

Ignacio Russo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
Hi Richard :). I don't have an SD card reader as yet (I do think having a multiport would be useful). I did find a way round it, thankfully. I transfer from camera to phone, from phone to Mac via Android file transfer app. A bit frustrating it's not as straight forward as plugging it in and exporting direct.

Thank you so much for replying and for your help. Hopefully this thread is useful to anyone having similar/same issues :)
We are glad you managed to get your photos. And a frustrating thing to not to be able to use your hardware as intended. I Have a docking station...I never tried to use it, will try for SD importing and share the results at the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.