Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonmet

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Edit: Solved!!!

This has struck me as a major limitation with Safari on iOS for some time but I'm wondering if there are any workarounds or other browsers in which it's possible to upload non-picture files to web forms.

At present, using the standard http upload function, Safari on iOS only lets you upload a picture taken from the camera or housed within your photo library. That's all well and good if you're only trying to upload a picture, but what if you need to upload another sort of document where email isn't possible and a web form is the only option?

On an iPad this limitation is even more frustrating, especially considering Apple's marketing of their new range "Pro" iPads as all you need to replace a computer.

I think such limitations in file management and file access are a big reason the iPad hasn't been more popular of late. I used to have an iPad years ago but sold it and haven't been back because I found you couldn't do much more on it than on the phone and it was too limiting; it was just an iPhone with a way bigger screen. And now with the Plus-size model phones that advantage is eroded even further.

But I still on occasion have need or want to upload files to web forms even on my phone that are stored within iCloud Drive or otherwise stored in the various app-specific iCloud folders, and Safari on iOS doesn't let you access them it seems.

This is such a simple feature they could add so I wonder why it's still not possible. Is this an intentional limitation?

What workarounds exist? Are there any file management or browser apps that let you overcome this limitation or is it a limitation that's hard-baked into iOS and I'd need to request the feature from Apple?

I'd be interested in the next iPad Pro model if it had the ability to create and modify documents and upload them to the web but that doesn't seem possible unfortunately.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This has struck me as a major limitation with Safari on iOS for some time but I'm wondering if there are any workarounds or other browsers in which it's possible to upload non-picture files to web forms.

At present, using the standard http upload function, Safari on iOS only lets you upload a picture taken from the camera or housed within your photo library. That's all well and good if you're only trying to upload a picture, but what if you need to upload another sort of document where email isn't possible and a web form is the only option?

On an iPad this limitation is even more frustrating, especially considering Apple's marketing of their new range "Pro" iPads as all you need to replace a computer.

I think such limitations in file management and file access are a big reason the iPad hasn't been more popular of late. I used to have an iPad years ago but sold it because I found you couldn't do much more on it than the phone and it was too limiting; it was just an iPhone with a way bigger screen. And now with the Plus-size model phones that advantage is eroded even further.

But I still on occasion have need or want to upload files to web forms even on my phone that are stored within iCloud Drive or otherwise stored in the various app-specific iCloud folders, and Safari on iOS doesn't let you access them it seems.

This is such a simple feature they could add so I wonder why it's still not possible. Is this an intentional limitation?

What workarounds exist. Are there any file management or browser apps that let you overcome this limitation or is it a limitation that's hard-baked into iOS and I'd need to request the feature from Apple?

I'd be interested in the next iPad Pro model if it had the ability to create and modify documents and upload them to the web but that doesn't seem possible unfortunately.
Seems like you can upload files from iCloud Drive as well as other similar types of sources like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc. For example the upload function here in these forums offers those options.

simonmet

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Seems like you can upload files from iCloud Drive as well as other similar types of sources like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc. For example the upload function here in these forums offers those options.

Oh really?

I've tried the button here and elsewhere and I'm only given the "Take Photo or Video" and "Photo Library" options. I even have some example files I put in iCloud Drive for testing. One is a zip file, one an xlsx and one a Pages document.

Here and in other places I've been unable to access them from Safari for uploading.

It's good to hear that it's possible but now I have to figure out why it's not working for me. Are you on your phone currently and can upload a screenshot of the upload options?

I guess I can always call Apple technical support.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh really?

I've tried the button here and elsewhere and I'm only given the "Take Photo or Video" and "Photo Library" options. I even have some example files I put in iCloud Drive for testing. One is a zip file, one an xlsx and one a Pages document.

Here and in other places I've been unable to access them from Safari for uploading.

It's good to hear that it's possible but now I have to figure out why it's not working for me. Are you on your phone currently and can upload a screenshot of the upload options?

I guess I can always call Apple technical support.
IMG_0140.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.