Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
'13 MP, I have been using an APC Smart-UPS for almost 9 years, battery most recently replaced 18 months ago. Its connected via supplied USB cable and UPS shutdown options was part of the energy settings. Not using any APC apps of any kind, worked flawlessly for 9 years. Today I had a power spike that tripped the APC breaker. After getting everything reset, it no longer shows up under power settings. Can't find it under System Report under Power or USB. Have reset/rebooted numerous times, both the Mac and UPS. Have also reset SMC and NVRAM, still no joy. Anything else I can try?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Is the UPS damaged or dead.....?
Why did you have to reset anything, the UPS should just go to battery and then shut down your Mac as set in Energy Saver settings.
9 years is probably getting to the end of the UPS life.

watboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Is the UPS damaged or dead.....?
Why did you have to reset anything, the UPS should just go to battery and then shut down your Mac as set in Energy Saver settings.
9 years is probably getting to the end of the UPS life.
UPS is fine. The breaker on the APC tripped and I had to reset it, that's it. Post reset, it doesn't show up in power settings anymore.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Assuming it passes its own status checks on its display...

unplug, replug USB, untick show UPS Status, retick show UPS status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.