Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I have an older APC UPS (APC Back-UPS Pro 280) and expect for occasionally needing a new battery it works great.

Do I need a surge protector too?

If so, before or after the UPS.

I originally thought I didn’t. The UPS would protect my desktop from any surges but now I’m having some doubts

Last edited:
Reactions: picpicmac

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have an older APC UPS (APC Back-UPS Pro 280) and expect for occasionally needing a new battery it works great.

Do I need a surge protector too?
No. That model has dedicated surge protection outlets and surge protection for the battery backup outlets.
The UPS would protect my desktop from any surges but now I’m having some doubts
Why are you having doubts?

Reactions: Chuckeee

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
It should be clearly marked on the back of the unit which outlets are surge protection only and which are battery backup + surge protection.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Hence my ambiguity
IMG_6577.jpeg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ideally, you should have surge protection built into your UPS. I would spend the money and get a newer UPS. What you have is ancient. If you get a surge as is, you could end up in bad shape with your electronics.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Most UPS surge protectors are good enough. If you have very expensive equipment, you should consider either adding a decently expensive power conditioner with voltage regulation (~1K) or get a better UPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.