Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBozz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
NW UK
I know, without really understanding it, that there is some debate about whether you should "upward swipe" apps in the Show All screen after double clicking the Home button.

I don't really want to go into that, ut I was wondering how that affects the various Track and Trace Covid apps developed by many Governments and which use the Apple /Google joint development platform.

If I upward swipe the Track and Trace app, in my case the UK's NHS COVID-19,then do I have to open the app again for it still to work in the background - or is it written in such a way that it works merely by being installed in my Library?

I rarely upward swipe the apps but I do from time to time if the phone seems to be exhibiting signs of trouble, it's the step I carry out before a hard (not factory) reset.

I'm interested, in this thread, to learn whether I need to then reopen the app to have it working properly or whether it can remain safely unopened yet still do its job. I'm not too bothered about whether upward swiping is a good idea or not as I have read many threads on that question!

Thanks in advance.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It should make no difference to the apps' functionality. Apple and Google's exposure notification API system "taps into" the operating system itself, with the app more of direction to point the OS, so as long as the relevant app is detected in Settings under Exposure Notification you can close it and it will work just fine

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Mine (Switzerland) explicitly says that as long as it's activated in settings, and bluetooth is on, it's working and the actual app doesn't need to be running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.