Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goblues11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
They are both live on the app store. Do not show up through search but do on links through appshopper.com

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
i don't know but the screenshots for urban tycoon look awfully lacking. The screenshots don't show any of the gameplay. Just screens with crappy looking building graphics. I might be off base here, but doesn't look appealing. so much so, that the dev seemed to have thought to make it a point as to what's planned for version 2.0. I personally believe, the features planned for 2.0 should have been in the initial release.

The dev definitely needs better screenshots if he wants to be able to sell the game to the masses without having to hype it here.

TouchSoft

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
i don't know but the screenshots for urban tycoon look awfully lacking. The screenshots don't show any of the gameplay. Just screens with crappy looking building graphics. I might be off base here, but doesn't look appealing. so much so, that the dev seemed to have thought to make it a point as to what's planned for version 2.0. I personally believe, the features planned for 2.0 should have been in the initial release.

The dev definitely needs better screenshots if he wants to be able to sell the game to the masses without having to hype it here.

Hi Diesel, I can understand why you would feel that way... but it's kind of disheartening to hear my hard work is viewed as crappy..... but just to clear things up.. 1.0 of the app was done by ONE person (me) and submitted with a pending release date.... shortly after I finished the app a few developers joined me in creating 2.0. The reason we are releasing the app early as 1.0 is because we want to introduce players to the game.. and we want them to get it for $1.99 ... because the app will go up to $2.99 in November.

So to sum it up... 1.0 gives us a reason to sell the app at a discounted price.

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. It's a two dollar game -- two dollars isn't a lot no matter how you cut it. If he stopped where it is, it'd be worth it, given the time I'm sure was put into it. Simply because the graphics aren't 3d and weren't done by a couple of graphic designers and the code wasn't written by a small team doesn't mean it won't be fun. Case in point, many NES games are still a ton of fun to play even if their graphics don't rival today's PCs/systems (understatement of the century, I know).

As for a 2.0 release, maybe he just wanted to get the game out there and start making it worth his while as he added more features? I must say that our customers gave a lot of feedback to help us improve our applications, including new features -- it's really been appreciated. Just my humble opinion. :)

JamesFoote

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Urban Tycoon is very fun, as well as Nanosaur II. I need to stop wasting money on these games. Anyways, you can find the first and currently only review on Urban Tycoon here:

http://theapper.wordpress.com/

A review for Nanosaur should be up by Thursday. You can also find an exclusive interview with Brian greenstone (owner of Pangea) where he discusses a few of his future plans.

I sure hope we start to see more high quality titles like these though (Such as EA's upcoming releases)

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Touchsoft, you mention 2.0 coming in November and the price going up? Will the update be free to users who purchase before then? I know that's usually the circumstance but given the number of changes you are speaking I feel compelled to ask.

TouchSoft

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Touchsoft, you mention 2.0 coming in November and the price going up? Will the update be free to users who purchase before then? I know that's usually the circumstance but given the number of changes you are speaking I feel compelled to ask.

That's a great and valid question. Just like any app in the store.. if an update is made.. it's free to users who have already purchased / downloaded the app.

So all you pay is $1.99 and that's it. All enhancements we add will be free to you.

Yesterday my team briefly discussed making the entire game in OpenGL (3D) ... so I personally believe once users see that we're dedicated to keeping this app up-to-date, they will see paying $1.99 early was well worth it.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
That's a great and valid question. Just like any app in the store.. if an update is made.. it's free to users who have already purchased / downloaded the app.

So all you pay is $1.99 and that's it. All enhancements we add will be free to you.

Awesome, I'll have to pick it up in a little bit...

ficbot

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Just wondering how this app is on the battery. I have tried a few more 'complex' games on the iTouch, and some of them, while fun, drain the battery much quicker than other apps. This gme looks fun, but I don't want to get it if it will drain the battery really quickly.

TouchSoft

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Just wondering how this app is on the battery. I have tried a few more 'complex' games on the iTouch, and some of them, while fun, drain the battery much quicker than other apps. This gme looks fun, but I don't want to get it if it will drain the battery really quickly.

Well since the game isn't using 3D to render itself at the current moment.. it's pretty light on the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.