Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oonagh oh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Hi. I have made a terrible mistake and I am adamant on fixing it. I have an iMac mid-2011 21.5 inch and I downloaded a Catalina patcher that successfully installed Catalina to my Mac. great. Unfortunately Catalina is extremely slow and buggy on my computer and games that easily ran on the high Sierra version of this computer are now unplayable.

I cannot access the utilities page by pressing cmd and r on restart because I get a white screen when I do so.

I have attempted to make a high Sierra launcher for my iMac which I thought was working until it, didn't.

I am desperate for some advice on this situation.

thank you.

Oonagh oh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020

this is what happens when I attempt to install high Sierra through a bootable usb I created with terminal using
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
When did you download the High Sierra installer?

Try all these combos:

Command (⌘)-R
Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac (recommended).

Option-⌘-R
Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R
Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Reactions: Oonagh oh

Oonagh oh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
When did you download the High Sierra installer?

Try all these combos:

Command (⌘)-R
Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac (recommended).

Option-⌘-R
Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R
Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

all sorted! managed to download the os that came with my Mac, which was high Sierra!!! Thank you for the help :)

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Do you have access to another machine with High Sierra on it?
Do you have either Carbon Copy Cloner or Get Backup Pro?
Do you have an external-drive with empty space equal to the used space of your internal drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.