Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
So I accidentally misclicked on "try tonight" instead of "remind me tomorrow" for an update nag. I REALLY don't want to upgrade from Mavericks for a number of reasons (including running smoothly on outdated hardware, and compatibility with one of the last versions of the Adobe suite that you can own instead of renting).

Is the ANY way to cancel the update before it runs?

Please help!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Don't worry, it'll prompt you to install. "Try" with Mac just means that very thing — it won't go the way of Winblows and happily install itself following a restart. :)

Additionally you can check your Applications folder and delete any "Install OS X Mavericks" looking things, if you want to be 100% certain. That's where they'll download to from the App Store.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Don't worry, it'll prompt you to install. "Try" with Mac just means that very thing — it won't go the way of Winblows and happily install itself following a restart. :)

I thought the point of the "try tonight" was to do it automatically overnight if the computer isn't in deep sleep, so the update doesn't interrupt you when you're working. Whereas "ask me tomorrow" is he only one where you get a chance to decline?

And there's nothing in Applications...

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
And there's nothing in Applications...
And there shouldn't be, at least not until the upgrade completes downloading, which according to your selection will be to-night.
Normally an upgrade will download to your Applications Folder and then auto-start.
At the first screen you can quit the install and then delete the Install App from your Application Folder if you so desire.

u960108

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
So I accidentally misclicked on "try tonight" instead of "remind me tomorrow" for an update nag. I REALLY don't want to upgrade from Mavericks for a number of reasons (including running smoothly on outdated hardware, and compatibility with one of the last versions of the Adobe suite that you can own instead of renting).

Is the ANY way to cancel the update before it runs?

Please help!

Go to preferences. Go to Software Update. Click on "More Info" ... select the updates and Cancel
[automerge]1570323824[/automerge]
Go to preferences. Go to Software Update. Click on "More Info" ... select the updates and Cancel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.