Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceCubeCat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
Hey guys, I'm in a bad jam. I really need some help, let me explain.

> A long time ago.
> iOS 8.2 comes out.
> Jailbreaks iPhone 5s with Pangu and gets a bunch of tweaks.
> Fast forward to last week.
> Gets the tweak 'AppSync 3.1' and updates 'iAPCrazy'
> Later tries to download app from the App Store. (This is where the issues begin.)
> First, it takes forever for the App Store to ask me for my password. (It's a free app, but it still has to ask.)
> Once I put it in, it takes about 20 minutes for the loader to go to the end-
> But it stops at the end.
> It doesn't transition to the 'Open' button.
> In fact, there's no partially downloaded app on the home page.
> So I go to safe mode and try to download it again.
> Same results.
> Try to remove AppSync, configuration for other tweaks are taking president in the running screen.
> Manually remove those tweaks.
> Remove AppSync and iAPCrazy. (Note there's another glitch now so that after everything is installed and the data is reloaded it says 'Loading' forever instead of giving me the option to return to Cydia or respring. Might be attributed to the App Store problem.)
> At this point nothing changes for the App Store problem.
> Tired of it; decides to restore phone.
> Gets cord.
> Connects to MacBook Pro mid 2012.
> iTunes reads the device (like the Photos app opens) but no new device tab attributed for my phone (where the restore option is) is there.
> Shrugs it off.
> Gets new cord.
> Doesn't work.
> Gets new laptop running Windows.
> Gets iTunes.
> Doesn't work.
> Wipes Windows and any Apple Registry Edits.
> Reinstalls iTunes after restarting.
> Doesn't work.
> Goes back to MacBook Pro.
> Tries a different, non jailbroken phone.
> Works.
> ****, it only doesn't read my phone.

And that's where I am now.
I want to restore my device from my phone but I don't want to brick it.

So help me guys! What do I do?
IceCubeCat.

My Skype is:
koenigseggjoel

Go down until you see "Where I'm at now."

Last edited:

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
Assuming you're on 8.2 and Cydia still works. Download Cydia Impactor which restores from your device keeping your current iOS version. I.e., once Cydia Impactor has done its job you can jailbreak the device again.
The moral of the story - stay away from pirate stuff.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
You're jailbroken on 8.2 with access to cydia, and can still download from it? Cydia Impactor may help you. Research it.....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Connect iPhone to computer with iTunes running.
Leave connected, turn phone off.
Put phone in DFU mode (Google how to do that). Phone is in DFU mode only if the screen is blank.
iTunes should detect a phone in recovery mode.
Upgrade and restore.

If you do this and are positive you are in DFU mode and the phone is STILL not detected then you have a hardware issue, not a jailbreak issue.

Reactions: Applejuiced

IceCubeCat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
Assuming you're on 8.2 and Cydia still works. Download Cydia Impactor which restores from your device keeping your current iOS version. I.e., once Cydia Impactor has done its job you can jailbreak the device again.
You're jailbroken on 8.2 with access to cydia, and can still download from it? Cydia Impactor may help you. Research it.....
Will Cydia Impactor brick my device? I think I heard somewhere it did.

Connect iPhone to computer with iTunes running.
Leave connected, turn phone off.
Put phone in DFU mode (Google how to do that). Phone is in DFU mode only if the screen is blank.
iTunes should detect a phone in recovery mode.
Upgrade and restore.

If you do this and are positive you are in DFU mode and the phone is STILL not detected then you have a hardware issue, not a jailbreak issue.
So if it's not detected, how would I get out of it?

Sorry for all the concerns, this is just an important means of communication and I want this to be fixed the right way.
Thanks guys.
Cube.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Power and Home together for 10 seconds.

Then hold down the power button until the Apple logo appears as you would to turn your phone on if it was off.

IceCubeCat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016

Then hold down the power button until the Apple logo appears as you would to turn your phone on if it was off.
Will this brick my phone? Cydia Impactor won't install.
[doublepost=1454556148][/doublepost]

So here's what I did.
I tried to get into DFU mode multiple times but got into Recovery mode instead. I clicked Restore, then Restore and Update.
It's downloading now. I can disconnect if I want to but I need to know now.
[doublepost=1454558235][/doublepost]

Where I'm at now.
I want to use Cydia Impactor. I'm trying to install it, but the app isn't being 'executed.'
What I mean by this is, after it is installed and it's finished running in Cydia, the 'Reloading Data' screen comes and goes, but then the 'Loading' screen stays forever. I don't know why. I ddi a restart (hold down power/home button), and usually it would appear (the tweak, in this case Cydia Impactor), but it doesn't. Can you help me with this in any way?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The advice I am giving you is a normal procedure native to an iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. There is nothing about it that is abnormal to any Apple iDevice.

If you brick your phone you have either a hardware issue, didn't do it right or are just a very, very unlucky person.

IceCubeCat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
The advice I am giving you is a normal procedure native to an iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. There is nothing about it that is abnormal to any Apple iDevice.

If you brick your phone you have either a hardware issue, didn't do it right or are just a very, very unlucky person.
So DFU Restore > Cydia Impactor? Just wanna do this right.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So DFU Restore > Cydia Impactor? Just wanna do this right.
No. DFU Upgrade and restore only. That's going to take you to iOS 9.2.1, which does not have a jailbreak. You will lose all your data on your phone but if you have a backup you can then restore from that afterwards.

I want to restore my device from my phone but I don't want to brick it.

My instructions to you have been based solely on your above statement in your OP.

If you don't want to restore because you want to keep your jailbreak then ignore my instructions and seek continued assistance on Cydia Impactor. I've never used it so I don't know much about it.

Reactions: IceCubeCat101

IceCubeCat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
No. DFU Upgrade and restore only. That's going to take you to iOS 9.2.1, which does not have a jailbreak. You will lose all your data on your phone but if you have a backup you can then restore from that afterwards.

My instructions to you have been based solely on your above statement in your OP.

If you don't want to restore because you want to keep your jailbreak then ignore my instructions and seek continued assistance on Cydia Impactor. I've never used it so I don't know much about it.
I want to completely restore my phone, so I'll try that. Thanks. I'll post results when I try tomorrow.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
So, I only hope that you learned the lesson. ApSync caused you all the problems. And rightly so.

IceCubeCat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016

It worked. Thank you so much.
This problem is now fixed. Don't know how to close the thread but yeh.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.