Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flekus5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Hello I'm Leandro from Argentina, im trying to upgrade a mac pro 5.1 with 2 CPU Xeon E5620.
My OSX is High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030).
And i just got the gtx 970 sc ACX2.0, and followed all directions to install the web driver downloaded from https://create.pro/nvidia_drivers , and nothing, black screen.
I try all
  1. Install Web Driver version 387.10.10.10.40.127, which is compatible with macOS Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030) that I'm running. Install latest CUDA driver
  2. Restart
  3. Choose to use the NVIDIA web driver in the menu bar, when let me choose to restar, i put "later"
  4. Then I Shutdown
  5. Install card and power cables
  6. Turn on the machine
At this point, I could still hear the start up chime, but I waited and waited and there simply was no signal to the monitor, also I try all ports, DP1, HDMI, and both DVI. I popped the old card back in and started trouble shooting. Here's what I tried
  • I ScreenShare with my Macbook Pro, and realize that theNvidia Drivers its not on. I cant set it.
  • I try via terminal with "sudo nvram nvda_drv=1" restart, and nothing.
  • I try to set again and restart, directly from the nvidia panel, and nothing.
  • I try SIP disable and all again, Nothing.
  • I try the card on a regular PC and founds correctly
  • Moved the card to the 2nd PCIe x16 slot. No signal either

I now have the HD5770 back in, and everything is good so far, but I really really want to use the 970 and High Sierra. I've done everything I can think of.

Do you guys have any suggestion?

Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello I'm Leandro from Argentina, im trying to upgrade a mac pro 5.1 with 2 CPU Xeon E5620.
My OSX is High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030).
And i just got the gtx 970 sc ACX2.0, and followed all directions to install the web driver downloaded from https://create.pro/nvidia_drivers , and nothing, black screen.
I try all
  1. Install Web Driver version 387.10.10.10.40.127, which is compatible with macOS Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030) that I'm running. Install latest CUDA driver
  2. Restart
  3. Choose to use the NVIDIA web driver in the menu bar, when let me choose to restar, i put "later"
  4. Then I Shutdown
  5. Install card and power cables
  6. Turn on the machine
At this point, I could still hear the start up chime, but I waited and waited and there simply was no signal to the monitor, also I try all ports, DP1, HDMI, and both DVI. I popped the old card back in and started trouble shooting. Here's what I tried
  • I ScreenShare with my Macbook Pro, and realize that theNvidia Drivers its not on. I cant set it.
  • I try via terminal with "sudo nvram nvda_drv=1" restart, and nothing.
  • I try to set again and restart, directly from the nvidia panel, and nothing.
  • I try SIP disable and all again, Nothing.
  • I try the card on a regular PC and founds correctly
  • Moved the card to the 2nd PCIe x16 slot. No signal either

I now have the HD5770 back in, and everything is good so far, but I really really want to use the 970 and High Sierra. I've done everything I can think of.

Do you guys have any suggestion?

Thanks!

Clear NVRAM 3 times, reset SMC and do it all again.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Read this.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/faq-nvidia-web-drivers.2170497/

Then remove all your current Nvidia driver.

Then try the 387.10.10.15.15.108 drive.

IMO, it's so much easier to keep using this driver for cMP users. It won't break because of OS update.

If still doesn't work.

Then remove all installed Nvidia driver again.

Disable SIP

Open terminal and run
Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 378.10.10.10.25.106

This will go further back to the V378 driver. Which may have a bit lower performance, but higher stability / compatibility.

flekus5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Read this.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/faq-nvidia-web-drivers.2170497/

Then remove all your current Nvidia driver.

Then try the 387.10.10.15.15.108 drive.

IMO, it's so much easier to keep using this driver for cMP users. It won't break because of OS update.

If still doesn't work.

Then remove all installed Nvidia driver again.

Disable SIP

Open terminal and run
Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 378.10.10.10.25.106

This will go further back to the V378 driver. Which may have a bit lower performance, but higher stability / compatibility.

First, thanks for the help.

I disable SIP , then the 387.10.10.15.15.108 driver, sees that is not for my OSX version, so i try the 17G6030 (CUDA 10.1/418.163. and nothing.

then uninstall, to try the terminal code , the driver install correctly, but nothing.

Maybe there is no way to do that, i never can make that the nvidia drivers get set in place.
I try via terminal sudo nvram nvda_drv=1

but seems like when i reboot all go back to original config.
[doublepost=1558097891][/doublepost]
Just NVIDIA. Clear NVRAM 3 times, reset SMC, then activate the NVIDIA web driver via screen sharing.

Thanks Tsialex, I can make the 3 times nvram clear, i hold the keys, it make it twice, and allways in the second mac sounds boot the system. I hold the keys from the start and dident move, but always let me reset 2 times, not more, then i reser SMC shuting down and taking off the power cord 15 secs, plug it 5 seconds power on, and nothing. always the same.

Thanks
[doublepost=1558097964][/doublepost]Maybe I should buy a ATI compatible card, but i really want to use Octane render that only founds on Nvidia system.
Im too sad.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
First, thanks for the help.

I disable SIP , then the 387.10.10.15.15.108 driver, sees that is not for my OSX version, so i try the 17G6030 (CUDA 10.1/418.163. and nothing.

then uninstall, to try the terminal code , the driver install correctly, but nothing.

Maybe there is no way to do that, i never can make that the nvidia drivers get set in place.
I try via terminal sudo nvram nvda_drv=1

but seems like when i reboot all go back to original config.
[doublepost=1558097891][/doublepost]

Thanks Tsialex, I can make the 3 times nvram clear, i hold the keys, it make it twice, and allways in the second mac sounds boot the system. I hold the keys from the start and dident move, but always let me reset 2 times, not more, then i reser SMC shuting down and taking off the power cord 15 secs, plug it 5 seconds power on, and nothing. always the same.

Thanks
[doublepost=1558097964][/doublepost]Maybe I should buy a ATI compatible card, but i really want to use Octane render that only founds on Nvidia system.
Im too sad.
There’s a way to inject the NVIDIA drives NVRAM config directly in the SPI flash but it’s a lot of work…

I’ll PM you later.

absente

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2019
@tsialex @flekus5 I have the exact same problem after updating to the latest security update on HS and the latest webdriver x.40.132

Was the problem being resolved and if yes, how?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex @flekus5 I have the exact same problem after updating to the latest security update on HS and the latest webdriver x.40.132

Was the problem being resolved and if yes, how?

It was stream 1 NVRAM corruption, resolved with careful clean up and BootROM reconstruction.

Back then I had time available to investigate and help people with this type of things, I'm sorry but now I have lot's of things on my plate and I can't spare my time anymore, maybe someone else can help you.

absente

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2019
It was stream 1 NVRAM corruption, resolved with careful clean up and BootROM reconstruction.

Back then I had time available to investigate and help people with this type of things, I'm sorry but now I have lot's of things on my plate and I can't spare my time anymore, maybe someone else can help you.

I appreciate the time to answer. In fact you once helped me with constructing the bootrom for my mac - i can repeat everything myself, I still keep the files (the rom you send me). I'll try google-ing "nvram corruption" and see if I can find a way to fix this - if yes i'll post back. Thanks alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.