Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
It's 10:00 PM here on the East Coast and I have a school project due tomorrow. I already finished it in Keynote 3, but my school has Keynote 1, so I'm exporting as an interactive QuickTime movie.

No problem so far, but it occured to me that the 3-year-old eMacs at school will probably choke on an 800x600 H.264 video file (heck, my G5 does). File size is no object, since I have plenty of room on a CD for 5 minutes of video in any format, but I need a codec that:

1) Looks decent
2) Has a 24 FPS framerate
3) Would NOT put much pressure on a computer with a 800x600px file

Now I wish I learned more about these things :( . The only one I recognize on Keynote 3's list is H.264...

Oh yeah, and our school has QuickTime 7, in case that matters. Thanks in advance!

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
If I were you, I'd export 3 or 4 different formats and take all of them so you can try them out and see which one works the best. Try these:

Sorensen
Video
Motion JPEG

It may take some trial and error to get a decent quality. Try not to set the encoding rate too high either.

Then again I don't think i've ever done a Quicktime Interactive Movie so my advice may be way off-base, but that's where I'd start.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Heb1228 said:
If I were you, I'd export 3 or 4 different formats and take all of them so you can try them out and see which one works the best. Try these:

Sorensen
Video
Motion JPEG

It may take some trial and error to get a decent quality. Try not to set the encoding rate too high either.

Then again I don't think i've ever done a Quicktime Interactive Movie so my advice may be way off-base, but that's where I'd start.
I've never even heard of a quicktime interactive file... how the heck do you make that? Would there be a specific file type for that?

localghost

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
hyperpasta said:
(...) have a school project due tomorrow. (...) I'm exporting as an interactive QuickTime movie.
(...) 3-year-old eMacs at school will probably choke on an 800x600 H.264
(...) need a codec (...)

can't help with the interactive qt movie, but an easy way to make sure it works would be a dvd (only a little less resolution).

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Thanks so much everyone. The reason I can't burn it to a DVD is that I dont HAVE a blank DVD :eek: . Whoops.

I used "Video", which I had never even heard of, but appears to just mean "no codec whatsoever". Of course, the 3:10 long video is now 650MB, but w/e. It'll definetly play on the old eMac with no stutters.

Oh, and I don't really know about Interactive QuickTime movies either - it's an option when exporting to QuickTime from Keynote 3. It seemed to be the only way I could preserve my custom slide timings ("regular movie" stamps in the same delay and duration for every transition and build). It's not interactve at all, although it seems as if I could include links from slide to slide in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.