Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Questions for you Americans and other travelers :)

Have a friend going to the US. He has an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and the models sold here is single SIM + eSIM. The recent eSIM only US iPhones has created more awareness of the existence of eSIM on older iPhones. He’s planning to have a US trip and wondering if he can finally utilize his eSIM on his iPhone so he can retain his main physical SIM.

Requirements:
- has to provide a mobile number. I believe businesses and services in the US still relies on traditional phone calls instead of using something like WhatsApp. So those data only plans are no go.
- preferably can be pre-purchases internationally in advance. We are in Indonesia. So it would be nice if he can purchase the eSIM in advance while he’s still here, and just turn it on when he lands there.
- carriers/MVNO probably won’t matter much. He won’t be traveling much outside cities. And I believe general coverage of US cellular carriers is fairly alright (compared to what we have here).

I have been googling around and researched a bit about Google Voice. Alas, that service is not available on out Google accounts since we are Indonesian. Besides, it would still need an actual number anyway.

I’m somewhat familiar with the big carriers like T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T thanks to me perusing this forum a lot. But I don’t see any of them providing easy purchases for tourists. So any MVNOs are welcomed, especially if one can simply buy the eSIM digitally in advance from overseas.

Any sharing is appreciated. 😊🙏🏼

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It depends on where one is travelling from, if their present carrier has got any deals on international roaming, how long they’re going to be in the USA and how much they have to pay. Then you can compare that with getting a new connection in the USA and if it’s worth it.

For eg. I frequently travel to the USA and a lot in Europe for work and leisure. I’m from the U.K. and am with EE. I’ve found that my carrier provides really affordable international roaming deals which works for me to not have to get a new number when I travel and my existing number just works without me having to do anything at all. The phone just automatically connects with the networks as soon as I land in a new country.

Now if the stay gets too long then this arrangement might get expensive but since in my case it’s generally a couple of weeks, the amount I pay for roaming is absolutely worth it for me.

Reactions: ian87w

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Without getting overly wordy and to put it simply, the best thing is to get a prepaid month to month plan. It’s fairly cheap in the US ~$40 usd a month on the major providers. Might be able to sign up on t-mobile on the app before departure. Or try US Mobile MVNO provider, might be able to sign up before departure
6E0FCE6A-0954-4107-A107-643D64A22C97.jpeg

Last edited:

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
I’ve found that my carrier provides really affordable international roaming deals which works for me to not have to get a new number when I travel and my existing number just works without me having to do anything at all.
The OP wanted a US number though.

has to provide a mobile number. I believe businesses and services in the US still relies on traditional phone calls instead of using something like WhatsApp. So those data only plans are no go.
Data only eSIM plans will let them use their existing number with WiFi calling over cellular.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Data only eSIM plans will let them use their existing number with WiFi calling over cellular.

I’m assuming this is because the OP didn’t consider the possibility to be able to use their present number rather than a specific requirement as such.
A US number is preferred as my friend might need to call local businesses and services, and I doubt they would want to take or return calls from international numbers.

Reactions: akash.nu

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021

Yes, but be aware, be sure to turn on Wi-Fi calling before departing your home country, otherwise your home country phone number may not work on Wi-Fi calling in the country you’re visiting

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
A US number is preferred as my friend might need to call local businesses and services, and I doubt they would want to take or return calls from international numbers.

I see, thanks for clarifying that. In hat case ignore me all the way.

fc4090

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
I believe your friend can purchase Mint Mobile eSIM directly from Indonesia, the plan usually comes in 4GB , 10GB, 15GB , or Unlimited data per month, with US number for unlimited calls and texts, but have to purchase minimum three months. Mint Mobile uses T-mobile network. He can still keep his physical SIM, just in Cellular settings he/she needs to switch which one to be primary.
There are other MVNO like USMobile , Visible , which I believe also available to purchased internationally

I may be wrong, but he/she can try the link to see whether it allows.

my referral, he can save few bucks, I believe $20 or so on initial purchase -- http://fbuy.me/rWZ8q

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I believe your friend can purchase Mint Mobile eSIM directly from Indonesia, the plan usually comes in 4GB , 10GB, 15GB , or Unlimited data per month, with US number for unlimited calls and texts, but have to purchase minimum three months. Mint Mobile uses T-mobile network. He can still keep his physical SIM, just in Cellular settings he/she needs to switch which one to be primary.
There are other MVNO like USMobile , Visible , which I believe also available to purchased internationally

I may be wrong, but he/she can try the link to see whether it allows.

my referral, he can save few bucks, I believe $20 or so on initial purchase -- http://fbuy.me/rWZ8q
I don’t think he would want to commit for three months. It’s just a one time thing.

Thanks for some of the recommendations. Interesting about some of these MVNOs (eg Visible) providing free trials. Will see if that would work for him.

Any other potential MVNOs to consider? 😊

fc4090

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
I don’t think he would want to commit for three months. It’s just a one time thing.

Thanks for some of the recommendations. Interesting about some of these MVNOs (eg Visible) providing free trials. Will see if that would work for him.

Any other potential MVNOs to consider? 😊
Mint Mobile and other MVNO also gives some 7 days free trial. He/She can try that, and can decide later which one to go for.
(And at Mint with $20 discount or so it would be some $25 for three months with 4GB per month)

jimmcc

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2022
I have just obtained a eSIM from Tello. No commitment, buy a month from $5, change your plan at the end of the month or during if you need more data. I am doing an $11 plan but will drop back to 5 when I leave then back up when I next visit. It’s good for one off visits, you get a us cell number and the online website and the app are excellent. Had some trouble activating it in the UK but tech support was amazing/fast and sorted it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.