Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryten3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Ecuador (Cotopaxi)
I will be in the States for 3 days next month and plan on visiting an Apple store to check out and purchase one of the three new SIM-free iPhones

I’m heading to Europe for 2 weeks for vacation and was thinking of using T-Mobile for the for the entire trip (US/Europe). Once again using my Claro SIM when I get back home.

This presents some questions:

Can I use my non-US SIM during activation?

If I have to use my US SIM (T-Mobile) for activation will I have issues using my Claro SIM when I get home?

Any suggestions for avoiding issues with having my phone end up becoming “Carrier Locked”?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but iOS12 seems to have stopped required a SIM to activate. At least as far as unlocked phones are concerned. I did a factory reset of my iPhone X and IOS did not force me to insert a SIM of any type to get the phone up and running.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but iOS12 seems to have stopped required a SIM to activate. At least as far as unlocked phones are concerned. I did a factory reset of my iPhone X and IOS did not force me to insert a SIM of any type to get the phone up and running.
Correct and even on my Sim-Free Model XS Max, it did not require me to insert the sim card to go through the set up at all.

kryten3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Ecuador (Cotopaxi)
Thanks for the input.

Another idea I had was to purchase the new phone through Apple’s non-IUP financing scheme called Apple iPhone Payments. If I did it that way I would again use T-Mobile. When I return home would my device work with my local SIM or would the phone be carrier locked to T-Mobile?

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
Thanks for the input.

Another idea I had was to purchase the new phone through Apple’s non-IUP financing scheme called Apple iPhone Payments. If I did it that way I would again use T-Mobile. When I return home would my device work with my local SIM or would the phone be carrier locked to T-Mobile?

just buy an unlocked phone, that should work with most, if not all, teleco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.