Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I haven't bought a new MacBook in so many years, but I'm now thinking of buying the new 2017 MacBook or MacBook Pro. However, before I do I've a couple of questions:

Last time I checked, one was not supposed to use a MacBook in bed or on a pillow (as advised in https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6341 ) because of blocking the circulating air.

Does that mean that no longer applies, because the new MacBook has no fans? Can I just go ahead and use my MacBook while tucked in bed as if it's my iPad/iPhone (or hold it on my lap) without risking overheat? Or is it still not advised to do so?

For example, would I be able to edit a video on Final Cut Pro while watching a tutorial video on YouTube, holding my MacBook on my lap/pillow/in bed, or would it be too intense of a task?

Also, are cooling pads still necessary?

Have MacBooks reached the state where they're dustproof like iPhones? If not, how often does it collect dust inside and how often should I disassemble it and clean it? Is cleaning it a service covered under warranty?

Thank you for your time. :)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
MacBook works fine on the bed.

Haven't tried Final Cut though. The worst that will happen is that if it gets too hot, it will throttle. It will still work fine, just slower.

They are not sealed like iPhones. You can drop an iPhone in the bathtub and it will be fine. Not so much for MacBook. Spill a coffee on it and it's toast. But you do not want to disassemble them either because that's unnecessary, and also, they are partially glued together. And no, cleaning is not covered under warranty, but remember, there is no fan to draw air and dust in. Furthermore, the screen glass is fused to the display, so there shouldn't be any significant problem of dust getting under that.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
MacBook works fine on the bed.

Haven't tried Final Cut though. The worst that will happen is that if it gets too hot, it will throttle. It will still work fine, just slower.

They are not sealed like iPhones. You can drop an iPhone in the bathtub and it will be fine. Not so much for MacBook. Spill a coffee on it and it's toast. But you do not want to disassemble them either because that's unnecessary, and also, they are partially glued together. And no, cleaning is not covered under warranty, but remember, there is no fan to draw air and dust in. Furthermore, the screen glass is fused to the display, so there shouldn't be any significant problem of dust getting under that.

Interesting. To be honest it's not the screen that I'd expect dust to make its way in. It's what's under the keyboard. My experience from a MacBook I had in 2008 (which I'd use while in bed all the time) was that it was full of dust inside, constantly overheating.

The new MacBooks don't have fans, but wouldn't dust make its way in anyway, causing overheating as a result?

Thank you for your response by the way.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Interesting. To be honest it's not the screen that I'd expect dust to make its way in. It's what's under the keyboard. My experience from a MacBook I had in 2008 (which I'd use while in bed all the time) was that it was full of dust inside, constantly overheating.

The new MacBooks don't have fans, but wouldn't dust make its way in anyway, causing overheating as a result?

Thank you for your response by the way.
OK, we have different usage habits, so I can't really say. I have used our 2008 MacBook and 2009 MacBook Pro occasionally in the bed, but not very often, so dust through the keyboard hasn't been a major issue for us even with the fan. As for the 2017 MacBook, here is what the teardown looks like:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Retina+MacBook+2017+Teardown/92172

iFixit gives it a 1/10 repairability score, which means it's really hard to fix anything on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.