Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
This is really awkward. It use to be able to transfer 1gig of data to my external in less than 2 minutes. Now its a miracle if it can even load up finish transfering before an error occurs. It use to be able to chug at about 30MB/s and now its just slowly transfering data and less than 1MB/s!!!!

I know it isnt my External's fault because just loading up 12 songs onto my iPod takes roughly 5 minutes!

Anyone think they might know the source of the problem?

I have a MacBook, it most definitely isnt going at USB 2.0 speeds, not even USB 1.1! :mad:

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
Loading songs onto my iPod with my USB 2.0 is really fast :D
Looks like someone got a hardware problem :rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I know this sounds dumb...but is it a USB 2.0 Compatible cable :)?

From my understanding, any USB cable, even ones bought 10 years ago long before USB 2.0, is USB 2.0 capable. The USB 2.0 cables are just a gimmick by manufacturers to get you to buy more.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Have you tried a different port? What else are you doing on the system at the same time? Is it running off batter power? :)

Yeah... both ports are slow, and it was plugged in.

When I was transferring I had nothing opened, when I was transferring to my iPod it was just iTunes opened.

dclinton

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
What I've found is that the first time I sync my iPod touch after a reboot of my machine (Intel iMac) I get really fast, USB 2.0 sync speeds. If I sync again a little while later then I get extremely slow sync speeds. Somehow the USB port seems to get switched into 1.1 or 1.0 mode. I haven't done enough experimenting to find out exactly what causes the switch. My suspicion is that when the iPod goes to sleep it affects the port.

This happens whether I attach directly to a port on the back of the machine or on a USB 2.0 hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.