Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petisjioweelsha

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
USA
So, I'm feeling confused.

I going to need to be able to connect about 7 old style usb 2/3 devices to a new MBA M2.

The type of devices will be wired keyboard/mice, printers, flash drives and bus powered HDD's.
Can I just buy any random USB2/3 hub and use a USB to USB-c adapter to connect the hub to the MBA?

Or do I need a hub that has a native USB-c connection? (I'm not finding may of those that are strictly usb - most seem to be overkill with HDMI and card readers without enough actual usb 2/3 ports...)

Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Not having a USB-C connector is not a problem, however I would not choose something where the USB-A cable to the computer can't be removed from the hub. If the hub has, say, a USB-B 3.0 micro connector you can get a separate USB-C to USB-B 3.0 micro cable in order to not use an adapter. If you want to connect so many bus-powered devices you might consider a powered USB hub, i.e. one that has its own power supply. Here's one I found on Amazon, with USB-C cable and power adapter included, though I couldn't say whether it is of good quality: https://www.amazon.com/Sokiwi-Aluminum-Expender-Splitter-Individual/dp/B0B62QQL8G

petisjioweelsha

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
USA
That Sokiwi hub does seem to fit the bill, although as you mentioned, I do sort of have some concerns about the potential quality of the unknown brand.
The combination of name brand, power supply, usb-c connector is definitely hard to find...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.