Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I have a WD My Passport and a My Book both of which have USB 2.0 cables. I just got a new rMBP, so I'm looking for ways to remove bottlenecks. The My Passport has a Micro USB port (the little one that cell phones use, not the wide one that newer WD drives use), and the My Book has a Mini USB port. I'm more concerned about the My Book since that's the one with my Time Machine backups. The My Passport just has video files on it. I know the USB 3.0 cables are probably out there, but I'm also interested in TB 2 since otherwise I will probably never use those ports.

Thanks! Also, has anyone seen a Thunderbolt to Lightening cable?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ I have a WD My Passport and a My Book both of which have USB 2.0 cables ]]

Not quite sure what you're asking here.

If the drive/enclosure you have is USB2, changing cables isn't going to speed it up.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
[[ I have a WD My Passport and a My Book both of which have USB 2.0 cables ]]

Not quite sure what you're asking here.

If the drive/enclosure you have is USB2, changing cables isn't going to speed it up.

I have two drives, a My Passport (portable) and a My Book (desktop). They both came with USB 2 cables, but the cables are removable. I was wondering if it would be possible to use USB 3 instead and have it be a little bit faster. I realize that HDDs are much slower than my internal SSD. Basically I have these USB 3 and Thunderbolt ports and no devices that can take advantage of the faster speeds.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I have two drives, a My Passport (portable) and a My Book (desktop). They both came with USB 2 cables, but the cables are removable. I was wondering if it would be possible to use USB 3 instead and have it be a little bit faster.
Unless you change the enclosure, the drives won't be any faster with a new cable. Hence the wider connector on the newer drives.
I realize that HDDs are much slower than my internal SSD. Basically I have these USB 3 and Thunderbolt ports and no devices that can take advantage of the faster speeds.
But you have to possibility to benefit from the speed improvements if you're buying a new drive for one reason or another.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If your devices are USB 3.0 they should have came with cables suitable for USB 3.0. You can plug these cables into USB 2.0 computer ports without issue (the computer will continue to use the 2.0 protocol)

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
micro USB3 cables look like they have 2 plugs stuck next to each other. (pic here, scroll down a bit)
the second half of the plug carries the extra pins needed.

if your drive doesn't have that extra part to the plug, then a USB3 cable won't even plug in, and you wouldn't see a speed increase anyway.

Thanks! Also, has anyone seen a Thunderbolt to Lightening cable?

no, and you probably won't for them to include the TB hardware in the phone for the minimal percentage of users doesn't really make sense.

possibly USB3 as that is more wide spread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.