Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davosfromgot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Hi, I've got an old Macbook Pro Early 2011 with Thunderbold (the first version I guess).
I've now bought a case for my SSD which has an USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C output.

Since Thunderbolt supports up to 10 Gb/s, I thought about using it instead of the USB 2.0 ports. However I couldn't find any Type-C to Thunderbolt cable on Amazon or eBay.

Is such cable available anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I've got an old Macbook Pro Early 2011 with Thunderbold (the first version I guess).
I've now bought a case for my SSD which has an USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C output.

Since Thunderbolt supports up to 10 Gb/s, I thought about using it instead of the USB 2.0 ports. However I couldn't find any Type-C to Thunderbolt cable on Amazon or eBay.

Is such cable available anywhere?

Thanks in advance.
No.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Don't confuse Thunderbolt with USB. The two are completely different protocols. The only way those are shared are through the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the newer Macs. Those same ports are also access connections for USB-C. That's the cute, oval connector on your SSD case. Your case is only USB-C, however. It will connect to a Thunderbolt 3 port, as that port shares with USB. But, you can't convert a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 port to USB. There's no USB bus on that connection like there is on the Thunderbolt 3 Macs. There's two choices - a thunderbolt hub that provides multiple connections. I think some of those also offer USB as part of the ports offered. It's not a simple adapter cable, and still pretty pricey, particularly if all you need is USB.
The OTHER choice is connecting from your USB 2.0 ports to USB-C. Just a simple USB-A to USB-C cable will do that. And, you get whatever the slowest speed is - USB 2.0, even though your external drive is USB 3.1
I was reading about the OWC thunderbolt 2 hub, which gives you a LOT of external connections. Appears to give USB 3.0, even on your 2011 MBPro. But, it is still pricey, about $200 on sale right now, regular $250.
You would have to accept that external hub takes up quite a bit of space, connected to a laptop, but you may be OK with that.

davosfromgot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
The OTHER choice is connecting from your USB 2.0 ports to USB-C. Just a simple USB-A to USB-C cable will do that. And, you get whatever the slowest speed is - USB 2.0, even though your external drive is USB 3.1
I was reading about the OWC thunderbolt 2 hub, which gives you a LOT of external connections. Appears to give USB 3.0, even on your 2011 MBPro. But, it is still pricey, about $200 on sale right now, regular $250.
You would have to accept that external hub takes up quite a bit of space, connected to a laptop, but you may be OK with that.

It is in fact pricey, but it would be great to have that many USB ports + HDMI.
I ended up getting a cheap (aroung $10 or so) USB-C to USB-A as you said, but I'm considering one of those in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.