Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottie_72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Hello!

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice please I’m looking to purchase an additional monitor to extend my iMac to work on two screens.. sadly I can’t afford another Mac screen .

My iMac is 2014 and I’ve been told that I need a none charging USB 3(A) to HDMI cable or adapter.. I’m based in the UK can anybody recommend a product please?

Many Thanks in Advance

Scottie_72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Yeah, definitely use the thunderbolt ports. If the monitor you get has a DP input on the back you can just get a miniDP to DP cord and not worry about adapters at all.

I’ll be honest I have no idea what a DP is or if the monitor would have one? Sorry to be so naive... I’ve just googled the monitor and it’s only got two ports HDMI & VGA!

Last edited:

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I’ll be honest I have no idea what a DP is or if the monitor would have one? Sorry to be so naive... I’ve just googled the monitor and it’s only got two ports HDMI & VGA!

DP = DisplayPort. At least on the Monitor side, it looks like an HDMI male end, but one side is flat, and the other side has the angle... rudimentary drawing |___/ ... the mini versions (TB2) look squarish with small angle on the bottoms.

Anyhow, I use the Amazon Basics Mini-DP (Thunderbolt 2) to HDMI cable myself, I had tried some of the cheaper ones on Amazon but they didn't work, so for a few extra coins I went with it and it's flawless... https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...port+to+hdmi&qid=1565351929&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Find out what kind of inputs are ON THE DISPLAY.
Tell us.
Then we can advise you as to what to get.

For a 2014 iMac I believe you have thunderbolt2 (that also handles video out).
In that case, you will need a "minidisplayport" (iMac end) to XXXX (display end).

I put in XXXX because (again) we need to know what kind of inputs the display has.
Time to do your research, and post here with the results.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Find out what kind of inputs are ON THE DISPLAY.
Tell us.
Then we can advise you as to what to get.

For a 2014 iMac I believe you have thunderbolt2 (that also handles video out).
In that case, you will need a "minidisplayport" (iMac end) to XXXX (display end).

I put in XXXX because (again) we need to know what kind of inputs the display has.
Time to do your research, and post here with the results.
He already said it only had HDMI and VGA in a previous comment. A simple thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cord will work fine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"A simple thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cord will work fine."

Don't you really mean "minidisplayport" to HDMI cable/adapter ???

Reactions: dwig

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
"A simple thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cord will work fine."

Don't you really mean "minidisplayport" to HDMI cable/adapter ???
It's the same port. If OP was looking at the specs for his Mac the port would probably be listed by Apple as Thunderbolt 2, not miniDP.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"It's the same port. If OP was looking at the specs for his Mac the port would probably be listed by Apple as Thunderbolt 2, not miniDP."

It's the same "port", but words mean things.

The DISPLAY cable/adapter that is sold to get a video signal to the monitor is sold as a "minidisplayport to HDMI" or "minidisplayport to displayport" cable.

If the OP buys a "thunderbolt" cable ... it almost certainly won't work.

Could you post some links for "thunderbolt to hdmi" cables?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
"It's the same port. If OP was looking at the specs for his Mac the port would probably be listed by Apple as Thunderbolt 2, not miniDP."

It's the same "port", but words mean things.

The DISPLAY cable/adapter that is sold to get a video signal to the monitor is sold as a "minidisplayport to HDMI" or "minidisplayport to displayport" cable.

If the OP buys a "thunderbolt" cable ... it almost certainly won't work.

Could you post some links for "thunderbolt to hdmi" cables?
Googling thunderbolt 2 to HDMI brings up plenty of miniDP to HDMI adapters because, like I said, they're the same physical port and thunderbolt 2 is completely compatible with all miniDP devices. Debating about the exact terminology used is pointless because both "thunderbolt 2 to HDMI" and "miniDP to HDMI" are valid.

Scottie_72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Googling thunderbolt 2 to HDMI brings up plenty of miniDP to HDMI adapters because, like I said, they're the same physical port and thunderbolt 2 is completely compatible with all miniDP devices. Debating about the exact terminology used is pointless because both "thunderbolt 2 to HDMI" and "miniDP to HDMI" are valid.
[doublepost=1565465592][/doublepost]
Hi, just to say thank you for your help, I got the Belkin adapter and a HDMI cable and it’s working A OK!... Thanks Again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.