Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebalvarez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2022
My Mac Studio M1 Ultra came with I think Mojave in 2022, which about a year ago I replaced with Ventura after wiping the internal drive.

A few days ago, I wiped the internal drive and installed Sonoma. Since then, I started having this weird problem that I can find nothing about online. The two USB-A 3.1 ports die after some time, and the only way to get them back is to reboot.

This doesn't seem to happen after the same amount of time since reboot each time, in fact today I was working in Cubase Pro 13 all afternoon and that uses the two things that are connected to those two ports, a Native Instruments MIDI keyboard and a Behringer audio interface. But later I closed Cubase, got something to eat, and now they're not working again.

If this wasn't fixed by a simple reboot I would think that perhaps the ports went bad, but I never heard of that, and I have two Macs from 2015 and this never happened in those.

Then obviously I would think something's bad with the audio interface or the keyboard, but it would be too much of a coincidence that it happened to both at once. Also, once the ports stop responding, nothing you plug in to them works. Hard drive, another audio interface, nothing.

So should I assume this is a Sonoma bug and report it to Apple?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
USB ports will shut down if the peripheral draws too much current. One of your devices might have a problem. Try connecting them with a powered hub, if you have one.

sebalvarez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2022
USB ports will shut down if the peripheral draws too much current. One of your devices might have a problem. Try connecting them with a powered hub, if you have one.
No, it's not that. I finally got the answer when I did the right search. It's Apple's negligence, plain and simple. It's a problem that Macs have had for years, I believe I read it's only the Apple Silicon ones. But tons of people have posted about this. It happens on Mac Studios, Mac Minis and I can't remember what else.

Basically when the Mac goes to sleep, when you wake it up, the USB-A ports don't work anymore. The "solution" is to enable the setting to prevent sleep at all:

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 22.51.21.png

Reactions: Geoff777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.