Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prettyvacant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I've installed VirtualBox to run High Sierra on my 2014 27" Retina iMac (Big Sur) Host Machine but can't find a way to make the VM access the USB device. I've tried the USB settings on the VM Manager and selected the USB Device but no luck. Also tried ejecting the USB on the Host before selecting it on the VM which also didn't work. I want to access my USB Time Machine Back-Up to transfer some Applications to the VM. Any suggestions on how I can get the VM to use the USB port or how to transfer the Applications onto the VM? I don't have original installers for the Applications btw just my existing old Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator Apps from another machine. Any suggestions to help get them onto the VM would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I've had macOS guests in VirtualBox, but never tried to have the VMs access USB devices, so I can't help you on that, sorry.

However, there are other ways to transfer files. If the VM is configured with the right Network Adapter setting (I think it's the "Bridged Adapter"), then the VM and the host machine appear to be on the same local network. Then, if you know how to set up macOS file sharing (go to System Preferences-->Sharing), you can access the host machine's share point from the guest VM and just copy (drag and drop) the files you need.

You mention the applications are on a Time Machine backup. You might not be able to share the TM disk directly (sometimes there are different behaviours for TM drives). It that's the case, copy the apps from the TM disk into a folder on the host machine and share that folder instead.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.