Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kovacs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I have a 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch 256 GB. I recently got a new pair of hifi headphones (Hifiman Sundara) and bought the USB C to 3.5mm audio dongle.

If I just listen to music or watch a movie etc it works perfectly.

But if I change app, or if I let the iPad sit unused for a while with the dongle plugged in, very often when I resume playing the audio will stutter and there are obvious buffer problems (music plays out of sync, I can hear multiple parts of the same song at the same time).

The solution is to unplug and reinsert the dongle.

Does anyone else experience this? I have tried to google it but have found absolutely no information, so I am thinking there may be an issue with the dongle.

cj138

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
I have a 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch 256 GB. I recently got a new pair of hifi headphones (Hifiman Sundara) and bought the USB C to 3.5mm audio dongle.

If I just listen to music or watch a movie etc it works perfectly.

But if I change app, or if I let the iPad sit unused for a while with the dongle plugged in, very often when I resume playing the audio will stutter and there are obvious buffer problems (music plays out of sync, I can hear multiple parts of the same song at the same time).

The solution is to unplug and reinsert the dongle.

Does anyone else experience this? I have tried to google it but have found absolutely no information, so I am thinking there may be an issue with the dongle.
I purchased a 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen last week and I’m having the exact same issue.

Were you ever able to find a solution?

Loadiing

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
Hello,

I have a 2020 iPad Pro and the exact same problem (when I resume playing the audio then I have to unplug and replug because the audio stutters…). It worked for almost a year since I bought them (the iPad and the dongle), but a few days ago the problem appeared.

So I replaced the dongle but nothing changed. My headphones work correctly with my other devices, including my iPhone 12 Mini with a Lightning dongle. I even tried to clean the USB-C port but it was already clean…

While I’m writing this message I realize I missed the last 14.5.1 update. The iPad is still in 14.5. I will install it and let you know if anything changes.

cj138

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
Hey, thanks for sharing your similar experience.

I updated to 14.5.1 and still had the same issue.

I contacted Apple as I bought Apple Care and they referred me to a local Apple authorized technician and they suspected it's an OS issue and couldn’t help.

So I exchanged it for another iPad Air today and I have the same skipping audio issue. Ive tried 2 Apple USB C dongles and multiple headphones that work perfectly with every other device I own.

Reactions: Loadiing

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This is the first I've heard of that issue. Since I doubt there's an problem with the dongle or port, my guess is this will have to be fixed in an iPadOS update.

Loadiing

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
I’ve updated my iPad to the 14.5.1 release today but the issue remains.

Maybe it comes from the iOS / iPadOS 14.5 update ? I don’t know.
I think everything worked correctly before this one.

Edit : I didn’t see the original post is from february… So it probably has nothing to do with the 14.5 update.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.