Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AKKanMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
Has anyone else had a problem using headphones connected using an USB-C to audio jack adapter? Audio just comes out the iPads speakers instead of the headphones. I never had a problem using the adapter before updating to iPadOS/iOS13.

DGGoingUphill

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
Has anyone else had a problem using headphones connected using an USB-C to audio jack adapter? Audio just comes out the iPads speakers instead of the headphones. I never had a problem using the adapter before updating to iPadOS/iOS13.

No problem for me using the Apple adapter with headphones. Also works as expected with a Line 6 Helix Stomp Via USB B to C adapter. Check your AirPlay settings, at it seems to have changed a little. The headphones now are listed as USB C to headphone jack, or something like that. Maybe you need to select them based on your previous setting?

AKKanMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
No problem for me using the Apple adapter with headphones. Also works as expected with a Line 6 Helix Stomp Via USB B to C adapter. Check your AirPlay settings, at it seems to have changed a little. The headphones now are listed as USB C to headphone jack, or something like that. Maybe you need to select them based on your previous setting?

This may be a stupid question, but where would I check the AirPlay settings....I don’t seem to see it in the Settings App.

khhntz

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
California

Same situation here on my iPad Pro 2.

Prior to the beta the headphone works through a third-party (not Apple) USB-C to headphone adapter. However since iPadOS and now public beta 3 it has not worked.

I tried two different headphones and I even tried the adapter made by Apple and there is no sound through the headphones.

I also tried the same on my iPhone X (running the latest public beta iOS 13) and the sound works through the two headphones albeit via a different adapter.

I did also tried the AirPlay setting mentioned about but that didn’t work.

Lastly I tried connecting through a USB-C hub and nothing.

I hope Apple knows about this issue especially on an iPad. But I did also just submit the issue using the Feedback app that comes with the beta OS.

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Resurrecting an old thread here...
I have a pair of Bose noise cancelling over-ear headphones which are not wireless.

So, for my iPad Pro M1, I got the Apple USB C to minijack adapter, and connect my headphones to that.

It works, i.e. sound gets transferred fine to the headphones...
But, the volume is out of control. After some minutes the volume will suddenly go to the max, and a few mins later it will lower the output by itself.. and go back to max again, etc. etc.

Very very annoying.. and reading this thread it might seem that making use of USB C to minijack just is not the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.