Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fweber

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
So, for the last 10 years or so I went with Anker cables, for everything: Micro-USB, Lightning, USB-C, USB-C high-bandwidth. They improved their cables quite often, so every time I bought a new current Anker cable, it looked different again. Which is ok, as long as the quality improves. The Powerline+ III was a marvellous cable.

Recently I bought Anker 313 USB-C cables as well as the “new“ 240W USB-C Cable. And I‘m a bit shocked, how cheap their quality has become. The „new“ cable almost looks like an supplemental one you get with a powerbank. Also, the connector doesn‘t feel as „tight“ as the have formerly. And you get it in green or blue (just why???).
Also other brands like Cable Matters might have some good braided and IF-certified USB-C 60W cable with metal plugs, but as soon as you like to have more power or data, you get a 90s looking grey plastic cable again. I‘m just having enough of all the different looking cables lying around in my household for all the appliances (from phones to Thunderbolt docks to rechargeable lights).

Are there any quality manufacturers - aside from Apples own cables - that offer quality USB-C cables which are built to last and don‘t change their look every few weeks?

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
All of my cables are Anker Flow. These are really great, soft, bendable, unlike pretty much any other cables. I highly recommend them. They are rated for 100W, which is pretty much covers all laptops, tablets and phones. They have been in the market for years, the only change was from 60W to 100W a while back.

There is, however, noticable difference between the 3ft and 6ft version (longer cables are slightly stiffer and thicker). Try the 3ft version first.

Apple's original cables are really bad actually. Stuff, they start to get sticky after a while. They usually stay untouched in the box.

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
My Anker 543 braided C cable is good quality from what I can tell. However, it isn't as tight a fit when plugged in vs the cable that came with my iPhone 15PM

fweber

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
All of my cables are Anker Flow. These are really great, soft, bendable, unlike pretty much any other cables. I highly recommend them.
I've thought about giving them a chance. However, they also seem to sell out (sold out on Ankers website in Europe). Also, Anker's USB4/TB cables look completely different again, for 140W you need the 743 (which basically seems to be the old Powerline+ III with new power rating) and for 240W the 543, which is annoying.

I actually like Apple's new braided cable. About the same stiffness as a Anker 543, solid plugs and classy looks. However, expensive and maybe not that robust.

Is there no other manufacturer offering durable quality cables?

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I've thought about giving them a chance. However, they also seem to sell out (sold out on Ankers website in Europe). Also, Anker's USB4/TB cables look completely different again, for 140W you need the 743 (which basically seems to be the old Powerline+ III with new power rating) and for 240W the 543, which is annoying.

I actually like Apple's new braided cable. About the same stiffness as a Anker 543, solid plugs and classy looks. However, expensive and maybe not that robust.

If you need TB, then the cables will be thick and stiff because of all the wires and insulation.

1 meter Flow cables are for charging and occasional data transfer (USB 2.0), I do 6 months backups of all photos and videos, which is usually around 20-30GB and I do it over this cable, takes like 10 minutes.

Amazon.de has them in stock.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX

Weird. I went Apple's site to see if they offer them in different lengths and now I can't find them.

Really, if Apple's cables were decent quality and the right length, I'd just stick with them. I kind of wish they came in black instead of white to keep them from getting dirty. I doubt we can just wipe them clean with a Magic Eraser like the rubber cables.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
I know you said "aside from Apples own cables" but I got the TB4 Pro Cable some time ago and that thing seems to be indestructible given how thick, sturdy and high-quality it is. Pretty sure it'll last for ages.

fweber

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
For comparison, i bought the current Apple USB-C cables (60W, left and 240W, in the middle) as well as an Anker new USB-C cable (right).
I actually like the Apple cables very much. Despite being thicker than the Anker, the 240W Apple cable is actually quite flexible. It definitely feels like higher quality, too.

IMG_0028.jpeg

Reactions: Sparxxx

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I just got two Aukey charging cables that have a little screen showing wattage, love that. They are also braided and seem good quality. I also got a nice 1.8m Belkin braided cable which feels really nice.

These are all charging cables. I’m having trouble finding data ones. I have two thunderbolt 3 cables (one Apple, one from my LG UltraFine) and one usb-c cable that supports usb 3.1 speeds (also from the UltraFine). Other than TB cables, I can’t seem to find data ones anywhere and Amazon gives me a bunch of brands I don’t know.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I just got two Aukey charging cables that have a little screen showing wattage, love that. They are also braided and seem good quality. I also got a nice 1.8m Belkin braided cable which feels really nice.

These are all charging cables. I’m having trouble finding data ones. I have two thunderbolt 3 cables (one Apple, one from my LG UltraFine) and one usb-c cable that supports usb 3.1 speeds (also from the UltraFine). Other than TB cables, I can’t seem to find data ones anywhere and Amazon gives me a bunch of brands I don’t know.
Which Aukey cables? Thanks.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Which Aukey cables? Thanks.

These ones. I got them during my visit to Tokyo. I’m checking them online and I only seem to be able to find them on Japanese websites. Maybe they are exclusive to Japan?

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Looks like it. Other brands exist though, just didn't know Aukey made those.
Aukey got banned from the U.S Amazon a while back for fake reviews. They have a really good 65w dual USB-C charging block that is much more compact than other brands. Looks like they doubled the price since I bought them..

Dimensions: 52 x 52 x 30mm / 2.05” x 2.05” x 1.18”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.