Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barsal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
Hi all!

I was doing some research but haven't got anything reliable. I was wondering if there is any controller that can be connected to the iPad mini 6 via USB-C like this one.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Yeah, I’d buy this in an instant as well, but no one has made one. I have the Razer Kishi for my phone, but a Kishi for the mini would be perfect.

Kinda surprised, with Apple trying to push Apple Arcade so hard (and the Steamdeck incoming), that they didn’t coordinate a controller like this at launch…

Last edited:
Reactions: Barsal

Barsal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I found this one, any opinions?

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Sorry to hear that, yeah iPega seems to have sell many different controllers, with different claims for iOS compatibility, I find it very confusing.

But I did some more searching, with iOS 16 adding support for Nintendo Switch controllers, it seems users are already starting to design and 3D print mounting brackets to fit Switch Joy-Cons on an iPad Mini. Here's one for sale on eBay.

First versions seem a little clunky but I imagine better designs could be possible? Since it just requires designing a good piece of plastic I hope more commercial options might appear once iOS 16 is officially released. This seems promising since Nintendo controllers are probably better quality than random Amazon brands like iPega, and being officially supported by Apple.

I also hope if more iOS devices switch from Lightning to USB-C in the next year, that more USB-C wired controllers with iOS compatibility will become available. Gamevice is still around, they made the Razer Kishi V1, and they've released new Lightning controllers for the latest 10" iPad and iPhone. In the past they have made an iPad Mini-sized controller (with Lightning) so here's hoping they do another Mini version with USB-C.

For a different controller style, I recently got the Nyko Smart Clip for PS4 Dualshock which is the only controller mount of this kind I've found that opens wide enough to fit an iPad Mini. It works ok, the hinge and iPad clip seem plenty strong, but the plastic body that rests flush on top of the controller feels thin and weak relative to the size of the iPad. There are not a lot of good angles for balancing the weight of the iPad over the controller. The mount seems to sometimes cause a phantom button press on the controller, but that hasn't been a big problem for me yet. Best angle I found so far is lying in bed with the controller resting on my stomach.

Unbox Therapy on YouTube showed a similar setup with a discontinued Sony mount that I can't find anywhere, that used a suction cup, so theoretically could mount any size device. But I agree the Switch style makes the most sense!

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Hi all!

I was doing some research but haven't got anything reliable. I was wondering if there is any controller that can be connected to the iPad mini 6 via USB-C like this one.

OK I finally found a Gamesir X2 style controller that works in wired mode! I bought this “Megadream” controller from Amazon, it’s a ShanWan BSP-D3 sold under other names as well. Around $30, cheaper than the Gamesir, probably a bit lower quality too, but works well enough.

Like the Backbone One controller, this has a USB-C port on the bottom of the left hand grip, and connecting that to my iPad Mini 6’s USB-C port and turning off bluetooth confirms that it indeed works wired. First turn on the controller in PS4 mode (B+Power) and then connect the USB and it will act as a wired PS4 controller for good iOS compatibility.

As a primarily bluetooth controller it doesn’t have a USB port in the ideal spot like wired-only controller grips, but this is the first controller grip like this I’ve seen that works with iPad in wired mode at ALL over USB-C. Except the Backbone One’s “Play On Any Screen” feature which requires a subscription.

Physically it won’t fit an iPad Mini 6 in horizontal/landscape orientation, but does fit in vertical/portrait orientation. You’d have to hack it to make it fit an iPad Mini in landscape like a Switch. I think I’m going to try to remove the spring and attach mine to a magnetic folio case as the mounting system, and maybe try to work in a right angle USB-C cable.

To open it wide enough for iPad Mini you’d need this longer data cable, part number 538-15166-0182 at Mouser Electronics, I confirmed this one works to replace the stock cable that’s too short. The OEM spring also probably won’t work, you’ll have to figure something out for that.

I wrote a longer review on Amazon that will hopefully go live soon. If you’re interested, ask me anything!

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
FINALLY now that iPhone 15 uses USB-C, we're seeing wired iOS compatible game controllers with USB-C connectors. Here's two controllers from Gamesir with USB-C and iOS support, that should work with iPad Mini 6 (still the current iPad Mini 2.5 years after this thread started, lol).

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.25.35 PM.png

GameSir X2S - $46 USD
Hall effect joysticks and analog trigger buttons (no joystick drift)
Compact size, rounded rectangle Switch-style controllers
Can be extended to iPad width without physical modification, just force/flex the two halves beyond the plastic stoppers
USB-C port on left
No headphone jack
YouTube video review from Retro Game Corps showing tablet compatibility
edit: GameSir video shows it's compatible with PS Remote Play app on iOS

GameSir G8 Galileo - $72 USD
Hall effect joysticks and analog trigger buttons
Larger ergonomic size controllers, less portable but more comfortable
Requires (easy) physical modification to open shell and cut down plastic stoppers, to allow stretching to iPad size
USB-C port on right
Headphone jack
YouTube video from RetroBreeze showing how to mod for tablet compatibility
edit: a YouTuber commenter advises adding some padding to avoid the iPad Mini's volume button being pressed.

X2S photos
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 1.51.34 PM.png

double duty coil springs carry data and clamping force, can stretch to tablet size

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 1.52.39 PM.png

how it looks on a 10" Android tablet
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 1.51.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 1.53.29 PM.png

G8 Galileo photos
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.03.06 PM.png

how it looks on an 8" Android mini tablet
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.03.32 PM.png

and on a 12" Android tablet
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.04.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.05.11 PM.png

how to mod - open shell and trim off the plastic stoppers, so it can stretch to tablet size
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.17.24 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.19.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.21.27 PM.png

Last edited:

Barsal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I would love to try those, but I'm to bad at opening devices I'm afraid I will break it 🥲 I don't understand why they don't make iPad mini (and other tablets) version...

Reactions: atonaldenim

Barsal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
Hi everyone! 😊 I found this one in AliExpress:

IMG_7998.jpeg

Tried yesterday with XCloud and it's quite comfortable. The only issue is that the iPad recognizes it as a DualShock 4, so Apple Arcade games will show the PS buttons and it can be a bit confusing.

Reactions: atonaldenim

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I would love to have a USB joystick to use with the flight simulators on both phone and iMac.

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Here it is! The first? USB-C controller specifically designed to fit iPad Mini 6: Razer Kishi Ultra.

$150
Xbox layout w/ full size controls
Hall-effect triggers (but not analog sticks?)
L4/R4 programmable buttons
Headphone jack
Vibration feedback motors (not supported on iOS?)
USB-C passthrough charging
RGB lighting
Fits USB-C phones and iPad mini 6, 8” Android tablets natively
Also works with iPad and Windows PC via USB-C cable
Razer Nexus app for button remapping, screen capture, game catalog

Looks beefy! More ergonomic than portable. A little too expensive for me I think. Spotted on 9to5Toys.

Razer-Kishi-Ultra-review-ipad-ps5.png

Last edited:

Barsal

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
Here it is! The first? USB-C controller specifically designed to fit iPad Mini 6: Razer Kishi Ultra.

$150
Xbox layout w/ full size controls
Hall-effect triggers (but not analog sticks?)
L4/R4 programmable buttons
Headphone jack
Vibration feedback motors (not supported on iOS?)
USB-C passthrough charging
RGB lighting
Fits USB-C phones and iPad mini 6, 8” Android tablets natively
Also works with iPad and Windows PC via USB-C cable
Razer Nexus app for button remapping, screen capture, game catalog

Looks beefy! More ergonomic than portable. A little too expensive for me I think. Spotted on 9to5Toys.

Razer-Kishi-Ultra-review-ipad-ps5.png

They took their time! 🤣 I'm happy with mine for now (which is connected by Bluetooth btw), even though Razer one seems more comfortable.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Man that Razer is expensive.

Still, as soon as Geforce Now has an app for iPad, I can totally see myself buying that. Might be worth it just for Delta emulator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.