Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
Dear forum,

I know there is a USB-C adapter super thread... but my question is a bit more specific, I hope it's justified. My apologies if its not.

I owned a HooToo Shuttle with HDMI, 3 USB3.0 and SD card slot and a SATECHI Aluminium Slim adapter with 2 USB3.0 and HDMI. They both have a USB-C port for charging. The SATECHI supports up to 49W charging, the HooToo 100W (it's the new 100W version).

My computer is a MacBook 12'' from 2017. I absolutely LOVE the little thing. Don't judge me, it's perfect for me on the go... my main machine is an older 2014 iMac I use for editing.

So I needed a dongle/adapter-thingy and bought those two as I heard HooToo is super popular.

But well... about the HooToo:
The 100W version charges the MacBook with 24W. That's okay.
But when I have two 2,5'' HDDs plugged in, one sometimes won't be recognised and if one if my LaCie drives is plugged in and I plug a second in, it "jumps", makes a shrieking sound and I fear the power hat a millisecond outage there and makes the reading head jump... It's strange but happens everytime... the HooToo just doesn't seem to be good with 2,5'' HDDs...

About the SATECHI:
I only get 17W charging power... that's really low, 12W less than the Apple charger... I mean it should support up to 49W so I expected 24W as well... Support told me 10W fluctuation is normal. But I have 12. I think that's too low... It charges SOOO slow and when I do some video encoding with compressor (yeah I know, get a MacBook Pro) it barely charges at all.
Otherwise SATECHI is perfectly fine with 2,5'' HDDs, handles them being plugged in or ejected much better!

So...
Does anyone know if there are adapters with let's say 2 USB3.0 and HDMi minimum that charge the little MacBook with more than just 17W?
In the future I might get a MacBook Pro 15'' when I change places or possibly countries. If the SATECHI manages to only charge the big one with 37W or less instead of 49W... that's can't be good either. I know, I could plug the power into the USB-C directly and use the adapter just for HDMI (if that even works). But I can't plug two 2,5'' HDDs into the adapter without it being connected to power, that I know.

Maybe someone knows of an adapter that supports charging a bit better than the SATECHI. I really don't like the HooToo... that super bright glowing logo and the way my HDDs shriek... yikes.

Any suggestion is appreciated :)
I hope this thread will be fine with the administrators.
Have a good one!
Best wishes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.