Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I just got an iMac 2017 that comes with 2 usb-c ports and I have two external thunderbolt 2 disks
Is there any hub that has multiple ports including thunderbolt 2?
I've been reading to exhaustion but couldn't find anything so far , just the super expensive Apple adapter.
Plus it would be great to find a hub instead of a single adapter: extra ports are always welcome.
Suggestions ?

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I don't think any of them have Thunderbolt 2. I've read a lot about Thunderbolt 3 docks, as I thought about getting one. They usually have USB-A, Displayport or miniDisplayport, HDMI, USB-C, audio ports. A few have eSATA, one has Firewire 800, and one has 10 Gb Ethernet (most others have 1 Gb ethernet). But none I know of with TB2.

You can build one yourself, get a TB3 dock, use the passthrough TB3 port (they usually have 2 TB3 ports, one for the host computer), plug in the Apple adapter, and then you can have the benefits of the dock but with a TB2 port available. Not very elegant and more expensive though.

Also I'd recommend moving to new drives with Thunderbolt 3 (a multi drive enclosure is the ideal way to go since it could do hardware RAID and then you'd never lose data if you do things correctly). You could then skip the need for TB2 at all.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks for your input but I solved my problem getting the apple adapter from Thunderbolt 3-to 2, connected my Apple display to my iMac 2017
It's like having a super hub with few more ports available,
1 Firewire 800 , 3 USB, 1 Thunderbolt (+ an extra ethernet that I really don't need) and this is fantastic.:)
The cons is it's expensive for just one dongle but I'm telling myself it's like I bought an hub that is not available on the market. There is no hub/dock, for what I saw so far, that has all these ports .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.