Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I've already bought a USB hub with a single port to the MBP integrated (see image below)..
satechi-usb-c-hub-macbook.jpg

...and it's outrageously bad - it was a Satechi brand and the single USB port is so flimsy to support something 20 times it's size and the things you plug into it. What holds in the ports is not aluminium like the outer case but a thin plastic cover insert that around it's thinnest parts just cracks and breaks and the board and USB port come out and stay in the MBP.

I've seen double port USB-C hubs that are all aluminium (already better)...

1522081231_1393048.jpg

...and that connect to the two USB-C ports the MBP has - anyone any experience with them? Are they tougher, more stable, less wobbly with the second port as support? The cleanness of the design appeals to me, not having a cable which means the hub doesn't dangle but I'm not interested if they're flimsy.

Send on your thoughts please, I thank you !

Reactions: MacDividend

MacDividend

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2020
I don't have any experience with USB-C Hubs that you are looking for but it looks like it would be more stable than those with a cable. I have a USB-C Hub that uses a cable and I've had a good experience with it so far. I've had it for about a year now, but I know it's not what you are looking for since it has a cable. I would be interested to hear from users who have used the type of hub that you are looking for what their experience is though with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.