Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evian-Zhang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
There were rumors before the release of iPhone 15 which say that Apple made the iPhone's USB-C port only accept MFI USB-C cables, while after the release, I didn't find any clarification about this rumor.

So I opened the Apple Store app, where Apple sells third-party accessories including USB-C cables. In the compatibility tab of C-to-C cables manufactured by Belkin and Mophie, it wrote that the cable is compatible with AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C port, but there is no compatibility info about those with iPhone 15+. Does the mean that iPhone 15+'s USB-C port only accept something like MFI cable?

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
That rumor was either complete BS (most likely) or Apple abandoned it (less likely, but non-zero chance it was at least considered). Apple never would have gotten away with it since it would have been contrary to the spirit of the EU mandate, and was not a thing with the iPad anyway. But to quote Apple on their Store listing for the iPhone 15:

“The new USB‑C connector lets you charge your Mac or iPad with the same cable you use to charge iPhone 15 Pro.”

Key word: “same”. The whole MFi for USB-C rumor always was nonsense and that statement right there seals it. It’s not a thing.

Edit: actually to be a little pedantic, they say you can charge your iPad and MacBook with the same cable you use for the iPhone 15, but they don’t actually SAY it goes the other way around (use the same cable on your iPhone as on your iPad/Mac). But I guarantee you can for the most part. Just be aware that there are cables that do charging only, not data.

Last edited:

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
That rumor was either complete BS (most likely) or Apple abandoned it (less likely, but non-zero chance it was at least considered). Apple never would have gotten away with it since it would have been contrary to the spirit of the EU mandate, and was not a thing with the iPad anyway. But to quote Apple on their Store listing for the iPhone 15:

“The new USB‑C connector lets you charge your Mac or iPad with the same cable you use to charge iPhone 15 Pro.”

Key word: “same”. The whole MFi for USB-C rumor always was nonsense and that statement right there seals it. It’s not a thing.

Edit: actually to be a little pedantic, they say you can charge your iPad and MacBook with the same cable you use for the iPhone 15, but they don’t actually SAY it goes the other way around (use the same cable on your iPhone as on your iPad/Mac). But I guarantee you can for the most part. Just be aware that there are cables that do charging only, not data.
For the price Apple is charging for their USB-C charge cable of USB2.0 speed we can get many other USB-C with USB3.2 speeds at the very least. I may have to suffer it for MFI lightning back in the days but damn no way I would let Apple get away with it now.

Reactions: Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
For the price Apple is charging for their USB-C charge cable of USB2.0 speed we can get many other USB-C with USB3.2 speeds at the very least. I may have to suffer it for MFI lightning back in the days but damn no way I would let Apple get away with it now.

I don't give Apple any more of my money than I have to. Well technically I don't HAVE to give them any, but I prefer the Mac/iOS ecosystem. As far as accessories go, pretty much nothing is Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.