Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twiggs4625

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
I just can't see spending 300.00 on a keyboard and mouse that uses a lighting connector to charge. Anyone have any thoughts on when Apple might release a new version of these devices?

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Was thinking the same myself. Refuse to buy any Apple product in 2023 that still uses the ridiculous lightning port.

Itching for a new iPhone to replace my X and upgrade my old (pre Magic) wireless keyboard and trackpad to go with my new Mini Pro and Studio display but…….. those crappy lightning ports!

In the UK a few sellers are discounting some Apple accessories (very rare) and stocks of especially the white trackpad is very scarce outside the Apple store. While not a measure of the tech industry, Argos have discontinued the Magic Trackpad all together so came here to check for news.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Are the peripherals you mentioned charged via USB-C rather than not being wireless?
Sorry, not sure what you are asking?

Every Apple product bar the iPad that houses a rechargeable battery is charged with a lightning input.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Sorry, not sure what you are asking?

Every Apple product bar the iPad that houses a rechargeable battery is charged with a lightning input.
I was wondering why the importance of USB-C vs Lighting. Does it have to do with a data connection or just charging?

I have an Apple wired and wireless mouse/keyboard that uses USB-A with no batteries.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
I was wondering why the importance of USB-C vs Lighting. Does it have to do with a data connection or just charging?

I have an Apple wired and wireless mouse/keyboard that uses USB-A with no batteries.
Charging and having to uses a proprietary connector when every other piece of equipment doesn’t.

Would also be nice to use an SSD with my phone like I do iPad.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I think people are over the lightening cable. Everything else in the world is USB-C. We want one cable for all things.

Bingo. I hate micro-USB with a passion. Lightning was great for the time and almost certainly paved the way for the reversible USB-C connection, but it's time to move on. Personally, I've made a point of only buying with USB-C in mind the past 3 years as replacements are deemed necessary/desirable. I've been specifically holding off on upgrading from my iPhone Xr until this change happens.

Reactions: blicked

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I just can't see spending 300.00 on a keyboard and mouse that uses a lighting connector to charge. Anyone have any thoughts on when Apple might release a new version of these devices?

Are you dead set on using Apple's keyboard and mouse? I use and prefer Logitech's MX series of these devices and they both use USB-C. I also prefer to use their Unifying Receiver dongle on my iMac, but that sucker is still USB-A. Eh... out of sight, out of mind on the backside of the iMac.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
It’s the only option with Touch ID.
Exactly. And it's super annoying because Apple's keyboard is a POS. No backlight, substandard typing experience and (of course) $$$. The saving grace is that MacOS allows multiple keyboards to be connected via BT at the same time so I can use Touch ID on my old Apple keyboard that came with an iMac I traded in. Having two keyboards on my desk is an OCD nightmare however!!

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Exactly. And it's super annoying because Apple's keyboard is a POS. No backlight, substandard typing experience and (of course) $$$. The saving grace is that MacOS allows multiple keyboards to be connected via BT at the same time so I can use Touch ID on my old Apple keyboard that came with an iMac I traded in. Having two keyboards on my desk is an OCD nightmare however!!

I saw a hack where someone extracted the Touch ID hardware to make it a standalone device. I really wish Apple would just make one. Or put Face ID in future iMacs. Or both, so Mac mini users aren't left out.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I saw a hack where someone extracted the Touch ID hardware to make it a standalone device. I really wish Apple would just make one. Or put FaceID in future iMacs.
I saw that too. I'd buy a standalone one if they made it. Unlock via the Apple Watch is nice - but I don't want an Apple Watch.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Interesting point. That would be a logical time for them to update the mouse, keyboard and trackpad.

Agreed, and really they have no choice in the matter. The EU ruling on standardizing USB-C as a charger doesn't apply to just smartphones. All "small" electronic devices are covered by this mandate, including mice, keyboards, and more. It goes into effect at the end of 2024.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Well the mouse is a catastrophe of design, so no loss there going with a logitech or other mouse. I love my MX master 3, though the drivers are ever so slightly buggy. The keyboard issue is a concern, but I just use a mechanical keyboard, and type out the password when needed. It’s not that much of an imposition.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
The Apple TV remote was quietly upgraded with USB-C when they last updated the Apple TV.
I’d expect the rest of the USB-C rollout to go similarly, quietly added with product updates.
So the keyboard and mouse will probably be updated with it when they update a product that comes with a keyboard and mouse.
So… more than likely the MacPro or iMac.
I’d also expect all of the AirPods cases to be silently swapped over to USB-C around the same time the iPhone 15 releases, as well as other accessories like the MagSafe Duo and battery pack.
I think the iPhone 14 series and AirPods Pro second generation are going to be the last Lightning products introduced chronologically.
I don’t think the AppleTV would’ve been switched over now, if they didn’t expect the rest of their products to follow.
The only lightning product I could see sticking around for an extra long amount of time is the first generation AirPods Max, I could see them waiting until the second generation in 2024 or so before switching those over.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Well the mouse is a catastrophe of design, so no loss there going with a logitech or other mouse. I love my MX master 3, though the drivers are ever so slightly buggy. The keyboard issue is a concern, but I just use a mechanical keyboard, and type out the password when needed. It’s not that much of an imposition.

Drivers? I've never installed any mouse drivers, and I have an MX Master 3 also. Well I do use SteerMouse, which is a 3rd party tool for programming the buttons. I would absolutely recommend that over Logitech's own Options software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.