Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merthade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Hi,

I was searching the web and couldn't really find an answer so I'm hoping some of you might help me with the following questions.

I have the base model 2017 MBP (13 inch without touchbar) and I'm currently looking for a monitor for it.

I realize that the best option would be a USB type C monitor (I know of all the benefits that one single cable would grant me), but in my country these monitors are not readily available, and when they are they cost a hefty premium.

I'm not asking for specific monitor suggestions!

My question is the following - could I buy a regular HDMI monitor, hook that up to one of those basic USB-C adapters (the ones that have USB-C on one end and multiple USB 3.0 ports, an SD card reader, HDMI out and another USB-C input for pass through power on them (like these ones --> https://www.theverge.com/this-is-my...28/the-best-usb-c-hub-for-laptops-macbook-pro )

If I were to:
1) hook up a simple 1440p monitor to it (no 4K 140Hz HDR 100%sRGB shenanigans here. Just a plain 1440p monitor),
2) have my MacBook charger connected to the adapter
3) mount it to the back of the monitor out of sight (for example with sticky tape)
4) connect the single USB-C cable to my MacBook

Would that adapter be good enough to send through both the picture and power over the singe USB-C cable interface, in order that I could also live the single cable life?

I'm asking because I have one of those basic USB-C dongles and over that single USB-C connection to my MBP I had attached a wireless mouse receiver, my MacBook charger and an iPad Air 2 over a lightning to usb 3.0 cable, that was acting as a second display (courtesy of Duet)

So technically I was already sending a:
1. better than 1080p picture
2. data for the mouse connection
3. Power for both my iPad and Macbook
Over a single USB-C cable attached to my laptop.

Would this work if I ditched the iPad and hooked up a 1440p monitor over hdmi or would I need one of those $300+ expensive Thunderbolt 3 docks for this to work?

Has anyone tested something similar to this (maybe a basic 1080p monitor?)?

Looking forward to your answers!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That SHOULD work, but please note that there are compatibilities with some monitors and some USB-C hubs/adapters. Hopefully in your local shops they have good return policies.

Furthermore, if you ever do try a 4K monitor, a lot of those adapters do NOT support even 8-bit 4K at 60 Hz. The problem is that if the adapter has both HDMI and USB 3, the HDMI will be limited to 4K 30 Hz. The ones that support 4K 60 Hz are either dedicated cables, or else adapters with only USB 2.

If you're just sticking with 1440p and USB 3, it may work, but I haven't tried it since the only way I've tried it with my 1440p setup is with DisplayPort.

Reactions: Merthade

Acanfield28

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
I can tell you from experience that Mac doesn’t play well with HDMI monitors. I had a 2017 iMac and a brand new HDMI monitor that worked as a second monitor on my windows laptop. But when I tried to use it with my iMac, it kept cutting out the video feed on me randomly. Sometimes it would come back after a few minutes and sometimes the only way to fix it was to restart the Mac. I tried 4 different HDMI to USB C variations including single cable and adapters. All did the same thing. I also borrowed another monitor from a friend Incase it was that... still the same results. If you have a VGA option I would use that. It seems to be the only stable connection unless you do what Apple wants and buy only their brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.