Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
With the iPad Pro & all MacBooks now using USB-C, the iPhone fast-charge enabled with USB-C to Lightning and even a USB-C Apple Watch Puc Cable (yes I know the charge speed for AW is still same as USB A). It would be great if there was a splitter or a charger with Multiple USB-C ports.

Imagine traveling with a single Apple Charger like the MacBook and being able to charge your iPad and MacBook at the same time with the single charger. Only having to bring the 1 charger with you and not worry about only being able to plug in one device at a time.

I can only find products that have (or) split the USB-C into USB-C + 2-8 USB-A ports. None that have multiple USB-C.

Does anyone know of any?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I spent some time looking for such a product as well, but I couldn’t find anything either. In fact ideally I’d love to see something with 2 (or maybe even 3) USB-C ports and 4 or 5 USB-A ports.

I don’t think there’s a technical reason why such a device can’t exist (although I suspect it might be a bit large if it allows a full 30W on each of the USB-C ports at once). I think it’s probably just lack of demand right now, but I won’t be surprised if we start to see them within the next year as USB-C becomes more and more common.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I picked up this last week but still waiting on a new iPad to test it out. I have used Inateck chargers in the past with USB-C and USB-A ports but I wanted one with at least two USB-C ports on it. Enough power output to charge both a Macbook and new iPad when not in use.
I can provide more details or a quick review if needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Charger-Compatible-MacBook-Air13-3/dp/B07HQDRXNR/

Reactions: flur and roncron

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
That Inateck product looks pretty good although it will split the 60W to 45/15 if you plug in a laptop and an iPad together.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
That Inateck product looks pretty good although it will split the 60W to 45/15 if you plug in a laptop and an iPad together.

Yes, fine for an iPad and iPhone but using with a Macbook and another device, it is better to charge them when powered off.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think I’m going to go for this Lifepowr unit someone posted recently even though it’s 1 usb-c and 1 usb-a. I like that the prongs fold up, and it’s clear that it supports the 15v/3a PD spec on the usb-c port which will charge the iPP at full rate. I always have a usb-c to usb-a adapter in my bag anyhow, so on the occasion I need to charge two devices at once I can still do so.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It's a bit weird how people are pushing the Lifepowr unit. It doesn't stand out particularly IMO compared to brands like Anker/Aukey/RAVPower. Not saying it's bad, but it doesn't give me the impression that it has more credibility than generic Chinese brands on Amazon. At the stated prices, I'd rather get the new Apple 61W USB-C charger - the iPad Pro doesn't draw more than 40W anyway.

As for a splitter, is that even allowed by the USB-C PD spec? USB-C PD requires electrical negotiations between devices to determine the correct amount of power to deliver. If the "splitter" is not active (i.e. has some kind of circuitry to intelligently split the power between 2 devices e.g. one requiring 9V another requiring 15V) I don't see how this is even possible.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It's a bit weird how people are pushing the Lifepowr unit. It doesn't stand out particularly IMO compared to brands like Anker/Aukey/RAVPower. Not saying it's bad, but it doesn't give me the impression that it has more credibility than generic Chinese brands on Amazon. At the stated prices, I'd rather get the new Apple 61W USB-C charger - the iPad Pro doesn't draw more than 40W anyway.

As for a splitter, is that even allowed by the USB-C PD spec? USB-C PD requires electrical negotiations between devices to determine the correct amount of power to deliver. If the "splitter" is not active (i.e. has some kind of circuitry to intelligently split the power between 2 devices e.g. one requiring 9V another requiring 15V) I don't see how this is even possible.

There are relatively few devices out there that are both compact (with folding prongs, no additional power cord), and have multiple usb-ports at a variety of outputs with 60+W of output. If you know of any other that meet this criteria please post them. I am all ears.

Who is talking about a splitter? I’m simply talking about an adapter. It will likely reduce the power to 15w but I can live with that. It’s rare that I’d need to charge both a laptop and an iPad simultaneously.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
With the iPad Pro & all MacBooks now using USB-C, the iPhone fast-charge enabled with USB-C to Lightning and even a USB-C Apple Watch Puc Cable (yes I know the charge speed for AW is still same as USB A). It would be great if there was a splitter or a charger with Multiple USB-C ports.

^ splitter.

Personally I would go with this Anker one - https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort-Matebook-x/dp/B07BQJWDRM

I agree a multi USB-C PD charger would be excellent, but for some reason there is almost no such charger to be found.

You can try this Cable Matters one if you want USB-A along with USB-C - https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Charger-Delivery-Smartphones/dp/B01MS9CTB7
[doublepost=1542376849][/doublepost]Aukey, which is a more recognized brand - https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Delivery-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B079P11LBV

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
^ splitter.

Personally I would go with this Anker one - https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort-Matebook-x/dp/B07BQJWDRM

I agree a multi USB-C PD charger would be excellent, but for some reason there is almost no such charger to be found.

You can try this Cable Matters one if you want USB-A along with USB-C - https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Charger-Delivery-Smartphones/dp/B01MS9CTB7

The Anker one only has a single port. I have lots of those kind of chargers already. I want two ports.

I have the Anker version of that Cable Matters charger. It’s great, but it has an external power cord which makes it significantly more bulky and more finicky to travel with. I want a charger with multiple high-power ports and folding prongs for the most compact form factor. Not many out there.

Reactions: roncron

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Anker one - https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Powerport-Certified-Foldable/dp/B07HN644KC
[doublepost=1542376972][/doublepost]Not really hard to find, there are tons of them on Amazon. It just takes a matter of searching for them.

The main advantage of the Lifepowr one is the travel adapters I guess - but frankly I'd rather go with a brand I recognize.

That Anker one is 30W max through the USB-C port. That won’t charge my laptop (X1 Carbon). The Lifepowr unit is 60W.

There are not lots of them out there by any stretch of the imagination.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Huh, I stand corrected. You're right, the specific combination of 60W, w/additional USB-A port without a cable is not so common.

Hmmm....

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Huh, I stand corrected. You're right, the specific combination of 60W, w/additional USB-A port without a cable is not so common.

Hmmm....

Yeah, although realizing now that charging the new iPP from usb-a is not straightforward. I’d need another adapter than I actually have (female usb-c to male usb-a). This is an extreme edge case; the times that I’d need to charge both my iPP and my laptop are pretty limited to near non-existent.

I’ve been using an early Dell (of all companies) charger for the last couple of years that does this, but the major limitation is that its usb-a port is limited to 5W.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It’s very odd that there’s such a lack of dual or triple high power USB-C PD chargers. I’m hoping Anker would come up with one soon.

My best guess is that manufacturers can’t do it at scale in an economical way for some reason.

Reactions: rui no onna

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Yeah, although realizing now that charging the new iPP from usb-a is not straightforward. I’d need another adapter than I actually have (female usb-c to male usb-a)..

If you’re going to charge the new ipp from USB-A I would get a male USB-A to male USB-C cable rather than trying to find some weird adapter. But keep in mind that charging a new ipp from USB-A is pretty slow, especially if the USB-A port can’t supply a full 2.4A.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you’re going to charge the new ipp from USB-A I would get a male USB-A to male USB-C cable rather than trying to find some weird adapter. But keep in mind that charging a new ipp from USB-A is pretty slow, especially if the USB-A port can’t supply a full 2.4A.

Yeah after writing that I realized I do have a couple of those cables from when I first got my 12” Macbook. That device I linked above does full 2.4a from usb-a and if I need more It has the USB-C port.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
So if it's of interest, the only "dual port high power USB-C" solutions I've found are all portable batteries.

Here's one I've been eyeing for a while - https://www.amazon.com/BatPower-P40B-Portable-Microsoft-Smartphone/dp/B076RTNH2L - it's expensive, but comes in several variants:

• 98Wh - $130 (this you can bring on a plane)
  • 148Wh - $170 (best Wh/$)
  • 210Wh - $270 (insane power)

They all support up to 65W apparently, but again they are batteries rather than chargers. With 4 USB-A and 2 USB-C PD ports you won't lack for anything though.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
So if it's of interest, the only "dual port high power USB-C" solutions I've found are all portable batteries.

Here's one I've been eyeing for a while - https://www.amazon.com/BatPower-P40B-Portable-Microsoft-Smartphone/dp/B076RTNH2L - it's expensive, but comes in several variants:

• 98Wh - $130 (this you can bring on a plane)
  • 148Wh - $170 (best Wh/$)
  • 210Wh - $270 (insane power)

They all support up to 65W apparently, but again they are batteries rather than chargers. With 4 USB-A and 2 USB-C PD ports you won't lack for anything though.

Those are some impressive batteries, but keep in mind that the FAA doesn’t allow batteries over 100Wh to fly in carry on or checked bags. So if you are planning to travel with the battery you’ll be limited to the first one.

Reactions: masotime

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Those are some impressive batteries, but keep in mind that the FAA doesn’t allow batteries over 100Wh to fly in carry on or checked bags. So if you are planning to travel with the battery you’ll be limited to the first one.

It’s not just that you can’t carry those in your luggage, batteries over 99.9wHR are not allowed to fly, period. (Although you can bundle together as many 99.9wHR batteries as you like - they just need to be separate units.)

In all likelihood those devices are being shipped illegally.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Does anyone know of any?

If you are talking fast charging both a mac and an ipad pro with 80w or so and 30w or so, plus more fast charging USB-A ports for phone, slower ports for watch, etc. all in one device I'm guessing the reason why is simply that is a lot of power. I'd guess a power brick could be made to handle all those watts and different volts to different ports, but the physical size may be getting to where you wouldn't want to lug it around everywhere?

I'm curious though....can you daisy chain your devices? Wall>macbook>iPad>phone with fast USB-c cables, then have a separate charger (or usb port on the macbook) charge the watch?

I've ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K5ZJXF for a new ipad pro, iphone, apple watch, and USB powered travel clock.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The Atom with 2 USB-c ports would do well for me. The one with 4 ports looks similar in size to their existing 4-5 port units but with 2 usb-c and 100W of total power. Looks to still use an external power cable though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.