Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is your USB-C port doing?

• As good as new

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • Loosens a bit but still fine

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Could be a problem in the long run

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Losing connection occasionally

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My port needs to be replaced

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
As the MacBook was Apple's first USB-C device and is roughly 1.5 years on the market, how did the single USB-C port hold up?
USB-C has a pretty tight fit and the plug stays locked so it doesn't slip out and loses connection, but does it loosen with time?

I've discovered that both my Nexus 5X and ntbMBP were basically too tight at the beginning but became just right after a few days. I'm using the 5X for 9 months now. Only charging every other day isn't quite a stress test for the port, so it doesn't say much about durability.

So, how are your MacBook's ports doing? Power users with lots of unplugging and early adopters would be perfect.

Quddy

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2016
Japan
I've had my 2016 rMB for 5 months now and no issues so far. You're right about the tight fit initially and it's slightly smoother now but not loose.

I plug-in the charger every day and occasionally other peripherals (maybe a dozen times a week).

It may depend on the quality of any 3rd party cables you are plugging-in. Not sure if they are all exactly the same size and material. I remember using a lot of USB sticks over the years and some insert smoothly, and some require a lot of force so there is some variance.

anon08

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2016
I had a nexus 6P and the USB port on that got very loose after about 6 months. Eventually went back on warranty because the charger kept falling out. Changed to iPhone after bad warranty experience. So that has sort of shattered my experience of USB c. Lightning port seems a lot more durable. But I purchased a MacBook anyway, still awaiting delivery.

mlovergaard

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
New York City
I have used my rMB for a couple of months now, and have not noticed it getting more loose. I do love the USB-C but like others I really loved the MagSafe adapter.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Mine is loose after 3 months usage (gen 2 macbook). When I wiggle the charging cable up and down the charging connection is also interrupted.

It's a nice machine but the build quality is not great. I've owned 4-5 better-built macbooks before.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not as good as I would have hoped; after a year and half's use in a professional role the USB C port is now fairly loose, with the multi-port adapter easily detached which is frustrating. I can now just push the charging cable into the USB C port by the cable itself as the female connector on the notebook as lost so much retention force.

Certainly made me think twice about upgrading to another rMB, as battery capacity is now down to 85%, (130 cycles) display is starting to delaminate, and keyboard is now rather polished up. Not really what I expect of a premium product.

Looking at the USB C standard the port is more than capable of withstanding even heavy use, so either Apple or it`s manufacturers cut corners, or Apple`s QC is spiralling. I have a second USB C Windows 10 system and it`s port remains to be solid, with a good level of retention.

n.b. I still have portable Mac`s that are far older, seen far more usage and have held up far better. YMMV.

Q-6

Quddy

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2016
Japan
That's not good news. Apple decided one port was all we needed so you'd think they would make damn sure that this sole port would last.

I'll be careful with mine from now on otherwise it will probably start giving me issues as soon as the warranty expires.

Queen6

macrumors G4
That's not good news. Apple decided one port was all we needed so you'd think they would make damn sure that this sole port would last.

I'll be careful with mine from now on otherwise it will probably start giving me issues as soon as the warranty expires.

Bear in mind mine is just one of many and it`s seen a fair amount of use. all the same feel it should have held up better.

Q-6

Quddy

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2016
Japan
Bear in mind mine is just one of many and it`s seen a fair amount of use. all the same feel it should have held up better.

Q-6

Understood. But I'm guessing, as there is only one port, everyone's usage will be pretty high. My port has loosened a bit but it's not giving me any issues yet. I've had mine for only 5-6 months now. Will see how it goes.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Not as good as I would have hoped; after a year and half's use in a professional role the USB C port is now fairly loose, with the multi-port adapter easily detached which is frustrating. I can now just push the charging cable into the USB C port by the cable itself as the female connector on the notebook as lost so much retention force.

Certainly made me think twice about upgrading to another rMB, as battery capacity is now down to 85%, (130 cycles) display is starting to delaminate, and keyboard is now rather polished up. Not really what I expect of a premium product.

Looking at the USB C standard the port is more than capable of withstanding even heavy use, so either Apple or it`s manufacturers cut corners, or Apple`s QC is spiralling. I have a second USB C Windows 10 system and it`s port remains to be solid, with a good level of retention.

n.b. I still have portable Mac`s that are far older, seen far more usage and have held up far better. YMMV.

Q-6

I don't thing Apple cut-cost of their USB-C, at least the design is the most expensive design that most other brand USB-C plug.

The USB-C ports inside MacBook is one of the best ports in the market, the holding position is manufacturing by Stainless Steel and should be long last.

The USB-C plugs by Apple Accessories shell is precision round tubes extrusion, also is one and expensive manufacturng process for the plugs.

However, the USB-C weakness point inside the male plug - the small spring clamp, which cannot hold too many weight.
So be sure don't hang the heavy adapter and it will make the spring clamp easy damaged.
Also ensure the receptacle (MacBook side) no any dirty and the plug FULLY insert with click sound, this because the plug not fully inserted, the spring clamp will be distracted permanent and become loss.

Reactions: Queen6 and Quddy

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't thing Apple cut-cost of their USB-C, at least the design is the most expensive design that most other brand USB-C plug.

The USB-C ports inside MacBook is one of the best ports in the market, the holding position is manufacturing by Stainless Steel and should be long last.

The USB-C plugs by Apple Accessories shell is precision round tubes extrusion, also is one and expensive manufacturng process for the plugs.

However, the USB-C weakness point inside the male plug - the small spring clamp, which cannot hold too many weight.
So be sure don't hang the heavy adapter and it will make the spring clamp easy damaged.
Also ensure the receptacle (MacBook side) no any dirty and the plug FULLY insert with click sound, this because the plug not fully inserted, the spring clamp will be distracted permanent and become loss.

Agreed; my rMB is only used with Apple accessories with the adaptor placed on the desk next to the notebook, however in 18 months it has become loose to the point that disconnects are now possible nor is it the male connector worn, rather the female port has too little retention force to clamp onto the male.

I have other USB C devices that do not exhibit the same issue, even with Apple`s adaptor, either I am a another victim of Apple`s famed 1st Gen syndrome of just a bad unit, equally from real world use, albeit anecdotal it`s difficult to recommend an Apple USB C only device until more time passes.

My own personal opinion is that the quality of Apple`s hardware is diminishing; I have multiple MBP`s with the older notebooks generally holding up better to extended wear & tear. Therefore I tend to conclude that either Apple or it`s suppliers are reducing quality to maintain or increase margin.

Q-6

Last edited:

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Agreed; my rMB is only used with Apple accessories with the adaptor placed on the desk next to the notebook, however in 18 months it has become loose to the point that disconnects are now possible nor is it the male connector worn, rather the female port has too little retention force to clamp onto the male.

I have other USB C devices that do not exhibit the same issue, even with Apple`s adaptor, either I am a another victim of Apple`s famed 1st Gen syndrome of just a bad unit, equally from real world use, albeit anecdotal it`s difficult to recommend an Apple USB C only device until more time passes.

My own personal opinion is that the quality of Apple`s hardware is diminishing; I have multiple MBP`s with the older notebooks generally holding up better to extended wear & tear. Therefore I tend to conclude that either Apple or it`s suppliers are reducing quality to maintain or increase margin.

Q-6
Oh. I see. The other reason may be the screw inside in MacBook is loosen, you can open the MacBook and try to screw up and added a little be screw thread glue to prevent future moving. However, it should reasonable price for Apple Store replace the worn USB-C or buy from eBay because the port is individual parts not like New MacBook Pro attached to the Mainboard.

You can reference of ifixit of the USB-C structure.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-12-Inch-Retina-Early-2015-USB-C-Port/IF301-005

Reactions: polee

Queen6

macrumors G4
Oh. I see. The other reason may be the screw inside in MacBook is loosen, you can open the MacBook and try to screw up and added a little be screw thread glue to prevent future moving. However, it should reasonable price for Apple Store replace the worn USB-C or buy from eBay because the port is individual parts not like New MacBook Pro attached to the Mainboard.

You can reference of ifixit of the USB-C structure.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-12-Inch-Retina-Early-2015-USB-C-Port/IF301-005

Thx, I live in Shenzhen so a fix should be possible, might see what Apple says, equally don't expect anything for nothing.

Q-6

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
MacBook Pro late 2016 here and my USB-C plug is already loose, using two Gen 2 Apple-made cables. Will disconnect frequently when in bed. Beep warns me connection was lost, so I plug it in again. Not a good sign.

Reactions: buckwheet

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've a gen1 & 2 and both are as they were when new. Great port imho

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
2016 12" MacBook owner here, I got mine brand new about six months ago.

I've definitely noticed a slight loosening of the port. It isn't bad enough that I need or want servicing, but I noticed that the USB-C hub I use doesn't stick in when I'm using my MacBook on my lap while my legs are propped up and I am slightly reclining on a chair. I use a Verbatim-branded cable-less hub (http://cdn3.zoeysite.com/Adzpo594RQ...dia/catalog/product/p/r/product-shot-1_42.jpg).

The stock USB-C cable I got with the MacBook still stays snug regardless of how I use my MacBook, though, and the same can be said with the hub as long as I use my MacBook on a flat surface.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I have a 2015 and 2017 retina macbook. The USB-C port still works for both units but it has become loose over time. Still usable but not as tight.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
I'm currently at the Apple Store to see a genius. My USB-C charging port on my late '16 MBP has become loose to the point that the charging light is blinking in my face and the "plug in noise" is going off every 1-2 seconds.

This is my 3rd trip to the Genius Bar for this device. I've had two keyboards replaced in 1 year.

c.pease17

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
I'm currently at the Apple Store to see a genius. My USB-C charging port on my late '16 MBP has become loose to the point that the charging light is blinking in my face and the "plug in noise" is going off every 1-2 seconds.

This is my 3rd trip to the Genius Bar for this device. I've had two keyboards replaced in 1 year.

I bought a Macbook 12" Retina, and my USB-C port has been fine. Suddenly though, it no longer works, and no longer charges my Macbook. So beware! I took it to the Apple Store, and they said it would cost roughly $110 to replace (as my AppleCare expired a month ago!!!) I basically have a nice gold paperweight with the Apple logo on it... Anyone have experience with this??

JamesGoodman

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2015
I bought a Macbook 12" Retina, and my USB-C port has been fine. Suddenly though, it no longer works, and no longer charges my Macbook. So beware! I took it to the Apple Store, and they said it would cost roughly $110 to replace (as my AppleCare expired a month ago!!!) I basically have a nice gold paperweight with the Apple logo on it... Anyone have experience with this??

I bought my first MacBook in January 2016. My USB-C port worked perfectly for about a year and a half and then stopped working the way it is supposed to. First it stopped working bi-directionally, then it stopped working at all. It was still under AC so Apple replaced the port. A month or two later, the keyboard failed for the third time, and Apple replaced the entire machine with the 2017 model. Only time will tell.

If I didn't have an extreme phobia (however irrational) about going back to Windows (I am an old guy and just want to do my work) I would run out and buy a Lenovo Carbon X (whatever the latest is). Every time I am in a coffee shop or library next to someone using one of them, I look at the keyboard and want to cry.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit

Mine went to the depot for 4 days for a logic board replacement. The plug is much more secure now.

bolandross

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2017
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) here, using it since year and a half now. A few days ago, I noticed that the power adapter sits loose in the port and little movements result in a loss of connection / interruption of charging. Since I payed for the Apple Care Protection Plan, I will have it replaced by Apple soon. I wonder if the problem will come again after some time ...

Quite disappointing, would love to have the magnetic connector back. The USB-C port feels like owning a time bomb, which can go off and render my MacBook worthless when it's not covered Apple Care ...

But who knows, maybe the replacements parts by Apple already are improved and more reliable than the parts used originally in the early 2016 models!

I want to believe [-:

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
I dont find it that reliable. I bought a dongle and separate gold plated USB 3 micro B to USB C cables and both drop out so easily and disconnect drives.

Really annoying.

Same issue with the fact you have to have pass through power for more than one item at a time. Pain if you want to do data management in the field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.