Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graxxer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Durham, UK
15'' 2017 tbMBP with 256GB / 16GB / 2.8GHz

Hi guys,

I've had this issue crop up recently whereby one of my USB-C ports (back-right) is completely disabled. It won't recognise the charger, it doesn't recognise external monitors, and it doesn't recognise anything USB. I do however get the "USB Accessories Disabled - Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices." warning when I plug in a thumb drive (Kingston DataTraveler microDuo) or my iPhone 6 using an Ailun USB type-A to type-C adapter, but only on that port! These are recognised normally on all other ports.

Diagnosis: Nothing shows up under system information when plugged into that port. I've tried an NVRAM reset and an SMC reset, and neither seem to work either - although I'm not sure I'm performing the SMC reset correctly - nothing seems to happen when I hold cmd+opt+shift + power for 10-20 sec (powered off).

Not sure if there is anything else I can do other than take it in to the shop, but I'm all ears to suggestions/thoughts!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It's still under warranty.
Take it in and get it fixed or replaced with a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.