Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uwekas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2017
Seychelles
My MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) is about three months in use.

I was charging it all the time with the rear port on the left side, just because I was used to this position for years now, with my previous MacBooks. About three days ago I noticed that it doesn't take charge on this port, so I used the front port on the left side and it is charging fine. At that night I put it to sleep by closing the lid as usual (the battery was on 100% charge) and noticed the next morning that the battery was drained completely. Same the next day. Yesterday I tried something else and put it to sleep via the  Menu. This morning battery was drained again, 4% charge left.

Note:

1. There is nothing connected to the MBP at night. No USB device, time machine is disabled etc., I turned WiFi off as well.

2. The top left port is also not accepting any other USB device, ie. external HD, or charging/connecting with my iPhone or iPad.

What I have tried so far:

1. I reset the SMC twice
2. I reset the NVRAM as well
3. I run the Apple Hardware Test (saying its all fine)

I also noticed that the system report is showing only three USB bus, but I don't know if that is normal or not:

Interesting is also the iStats Power usage display for the last 24hours. As can be clearly seen there was no usage for about 10 hours or so. That was the time the MBP was on sleep during the night. Still the battery was at 100% when put to sleep and about 4% this morning:

Unfortunately I am living in a small country and there is no Apple Store with Genius Bar that I can visit to check.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Msimon87

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
New York
I had this recently on my MBP 2016 15", the battery drained completely, and wouldn't charge. Apple had to replace the logic board.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
That sounds like a logic board failure, as msimon87, above, said. You'll unfortunately have to send it to Apple, however that works in your country.

On the plus side, that sort of issue *appears* to be very rare, so it's unlikely to happen again.

Reactions: uwekas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.