Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello
I’ve bought MacBook Air and decided to use Ethernet to USB-C adapter with charger. Adapter that I bought is called “

Belkin USB-C to Ethernet Adapter + Charge (60W Passthrough Power for Connected Devices, 1000 Mbps Ethernet Speeds) MacBook Pro Ethernet Adapter (INC001btBK)”​

When I connected it I noticed that it provides Ethernet but not charging. I contacted Support and they explained to me that it was not supposed to charge MacBook but rather smartphone. Well it was not what I expected..
Hence I am going to return it back to store but I would like to have your opinion which USB-C to Ethernet adapter should I buy in order to provide charging for MacBook. My point is that I don’t want to use both USB-C ports to charge and provide Ethernet. I want that Adapter would do both. Could you recommend me?
Thanks

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Browsing Amazon and looking for ethernet adapter which will charge my MacBook as well I found this one:
USB C Hub, UtechSmart 6 In 1 USB C to HDMI Adapter with 1000M Ethernet, Power Delivery Pd Type C Charging Port, 3 USB 3.0 Ports Adapter Compatible for MacBook Pro, Chromebook, XPS, and USB C devices
Do you think it will fit my need?
Thanks
Hard to say unless you try it yourself.

I have one that absolutely works, but they're a bit hard to find (I got mine in 2017):

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hard to say unless you try it yourself.

I have one that absolutely works, but they're a bit hard to find (I got mine in 2017):
BeatCrazy - could you please clarify for me:
my MacBook Air has only 2 USB-C ports and I want to use only one of it. Is it right that ‘charging' cable should connect the second USB-C port on my MacBook with USB-C port on Adapter? If it’s correct than I won’t have any available port left on my laptop. Couldn’t USB-C cable from Adapter delver power at the same time? Is it simply a design that both available MacBook USB-C ports should be utilized in order to provide power and Ethernet?
Sorry if it sounds silly but I am a little bit confused
Thanks

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
BeatCrazy - could you please clarify for me:
my MacBook Air has only 2 USB-C ports and I want to use only one of it. Is it right that ‘charging' cable should connect the second USB-C port on my MacBook with USB-C port on Adapter? If it’s correct than I won’t have any available port left on my laptop. Couldn’t USB-C cable from Adapter delver power at the same time? Is it simply a design that both available MacBook USB-C ports should be utilized in order to provide power and Ethernet?
Sorry if it sounds silly but I am a little bit confused
Thanks
Ya you are confused ;)

If you use the Huawei that I linked, you plug it into one of your two Mac ports. You plug your USB-C power into the Huawei, which then charges your MacBook.

The Huawei "passes through" charging power to your MacBook, in addition to providing you Ethernet, two USB-A, and HDMI output.

You still have one free port on your MacBook to do whatever you want with.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.