Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What has your external display experience been with your MBP 2016?

• I've got 99 problems but a new Mac ain't one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

t1oracle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
Rockville, MD
My job issued me a 13" MBP w/ TouchBar i7 w/ turbo, 16GB RAM. At my desk I have two HP 23" IPS LED monitors with DP and HDMI inputs. At home I have two Asus 23" TN LED monitors with VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs. To make work in both environments an ease I purchased a Aukey HDMI to USB-C adapter to supplement the kensington USB-C dock they gave me.

Unfortunately the Aukey adapter isn't stable. When I plug it into my personal Dell XPS 13 DE w/ Ubuntu it's perfect. When I plug it into the Mac the screen blacks out, jitters occasionally, shows static occasionally, but for at least 40% of the time it's perfect. Someday's I'm lucky and I can go 90% of the day with both displays going perfectly. At home I have more issues than I do at work.

Now, when I did my research to decide on an HDMI adapter I found that every product on Amazon that connects USB-C to a monitor has customers reporting the same issue I am having. I choose the Aukey because it seem to have the fewest. Now my concern is that there really isn't a way to connect this laptop to a monitor without having connectivity issues.

Now, I know what you must be asking. What about the Kensignton dock? Well, for the first time ever, yesterday, it did the same thing to me.

So my question to you is, has anyone had any success getting a stable connection to a monitor with their 2016 MBP's? If so, what adapter are you using? Do you ever disconnect it? Have you ever connected it to other monitors? What is the oldest display device that you have connected it to?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It does seem there are more problems with HDMI than with DP. Some are getting along fine with HDMI, though. I haven't seen any clear pattern in it. Have you talked to Apple? They must be aware of this at some level.

Edit: the cable is also a common issue.

t1oracle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
Rockville, MD
It does seem there are more problems with HDMI than with DP. Some are getting along fine with HDMI, though. I haven't seen any clear pattern in it. Have you talked to Apple? They must be aware of this at some level.
No, the IT department ordered our Macs so I've only relied on them. I could put in a support ticket but they'll probably just order a new dock which will take 2-4 weeks to arrive through sourcing. I did ask them to order a new HDMI DP to USB-C cable from Staples, I don't know if that's going to be faster. Right now my Aukey adapter is sitting on my desk at home permanently taped to the HDMI cable (it works better, not perfect this way).

I'd love to hear from the people who are having a good experience. I want to know what the difference is so I can fix it and not experience it again.

*edited*

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Might as well see if they'll get you a DP cable or adapter for the one that will accept that.

t1oracle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
Rockville, MD
Might as well see if they'll get you a DP cable or adapter for the one that will accept that.
Actually, I that's what I ordered a DP to USB-C cable, I didn't mean to say HDMI there. Although I have been considering a HDMI to USB-C cable for my work from home days.

Reactions: Sanpete

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Do you ever disconnect it or do you leave the adapter attached to the HDMI cable? Do you connect to other monitors? How new is your monitor?
I disconnect every part ya, but I only use it to connect to TVs and it's worked well for me. For monitors I prefer DVI or DisplayPort connections.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
I haven't had really any issues connecting my Pro to a monitor (Granted, I don't do so more than twice a week for a few hours each time). I did shell out for Apple's USB-C to HDMI adapter. I wasn't happy paying $50 for it, especially because its extremely top heavy and looks like the tiny cable will fray rather easily, but frankly, there's a lot of garbage USB-C adapter out there, some of which can fry your computer. USB-C is an awesome idea that is terribly implemented right now. The only guys that seem to put out quality adapters that live up to the spec are Apple & Google, and of course they're the most expensive. Cables, on the other hand, are a different story...

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Do you ever disconnect it or do you leave the adapter attached to the HDMI cable? Do you connect to other monitors? How new is your monitor?
I use that too and it seems to work reliably for now, for my presentations mostly. One thing that this adapter has over most other adapters out there is that it is capable of 4K@60Hz. Most other adapters, including apple's are capable till only up to 4K@30Hz.

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
The Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter has been working great for me personally.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapte...d=1491599847&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+usb+c+hdmi

Hey, I just ordered a replacement from Amazon for this adapter. A few quick questions:
  1. Have you noticed the adapter get warm at all after a few hours of use?
  2. Do you notice any screen flickering when used at 4K at 60 Hz?
  3. Which TV are you using this adapter with?
  4. Are you using this for sound output as well?

Thanks in advance!

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Hey, I just ordered a replacement from Amazon for this adapter. A few quick questions:
  1. Have you noticed the adapter get warm at all after a few hours of use?
  2. Do you notice any screen flickering when used at 4K at 60 Hz?
  3. Which TV are you using this adapter with?
  4. Are you using this for sound output as well?

Thanks in advance!
1. It does get a bit warm, ya, I think that's ok though. I suspect it might be doing some kind of active conversion to make it appear as a DisplayPort signal to the MBP, given how it supports 4K@60.
2. No flickering at that setting
3. The newest Vizio P Series
4. Ya I let it carry sound. I have had it drop sound a couple of times to be honest, but it's very infrequent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.