Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdlcar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
There are 4 USB-C port but I'm not sure to use them for what I have to plug in are.

1 Power supply
2 SSD Drive
3 Printer
4 My Linux

Any help will be great.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your Mac doesn't care which USB-C port is used for other devices, each port can also be used for any device of your choice with a USB-C connection
You may have thunderbolt ports, as not ALL ports are just USB-C. Same type of connector, but may have more capability, or your device needs to be plugged into a port that supports thunderbolt (it will have a lightning bolt symbol by the port, not the normal USB symbol, but the port will look exactly the same) The only reason that will affect you if you have a thunderbolt device to use.
What exactly is a "My Linux"?

jmdlcar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Sorry for so long but I look today on both sides and there no marking at all around all 4 of them. So what do I need to do now?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That is my Linux USB OS I use it for about 20 years with my Windows Laptop tell It quit working that is why I now have a Macbook Pro.
You will not likely be able to boot to that as-is, if at all, depending on what model MacBook Pro you have.
You can connect any of the devices you have into any of the ports. It makes no difference to the Mac.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Which Macbook Pro do you have? The power connector on most is a Magsafe connector, very different from a USB-C connector. If you only have USB-C ports, then the "normal" connection port for the charging adapter is the left side, port nearest the hinge.
This page will identify your ports, if you need it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, OK.
4 USB-C ports. All support USB 3.1 and ThunderBolt 3
And, as you can see, no magsafe connector, so the power adapter simply attaches to a USB-C port, primary for that is the left side, nearest the back.
If you don't need the charger connected at the moment, that back port can be used for any USB or Thunderbolt 3 connection. As already noted, the Mac doesn't care which devices you plug into a USB-C/Thunderbolt port.

You will likely need to create a new Linux boot drive (if you need to continue to boot from Linux), but if yours has been kept updated (over the "20 years"), it may work with no issues on your intel MBPro. Try it out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.