Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I've lost track of whether the issue of viruses and other malware being hidden in USB cables and adapters (not drives) has ever risen above the level of theoretical threat. Has anyone run into a case of a Mac being infected or otherwise damaged via a USB cable? (Note to MR moderators: this is where it would be great to have a security/privacy forum.)

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Yes, I see a lot of talk about potential, and the test samples at sites like badcables, but I don't see any talk about exploits in the wild. Is this a real problem, or a FUD problem?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I'd say it's a real problem. Is it a problem for you or me? Maybe, maybe not. Is it a problem for someone who is the target of an entity like a nation state? Almost certainly.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
OK, rephrase. A large percentage of USB cables and adapters come from China. Should I be concerned about plugging these into my computers, and if so is there any way to check them before I plug them in?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I see now what you mean. I would not be overly concerned about cables from reputable companies. I would not trust a cable sold at the 7-11 till. Not really because of security concerns, but simply failure, fire potential, etc.

I'm not aware of a way to test but there are USB 'condoms' available, I believe they work by limiting the number of pins that are allowed to connect (i.e. power only, not data).

Reactions: jasnw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.