Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaReaper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Hey,

I'm tryin to get my time machine backup to work while i have my usb drive hooked up to my airport extreme. it will only let me access the drive but i cant use it as a time machine backup. anyone else having this problem???

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
It's weird. It works so well for me that I don't get why others have a problem. I also don't understand why Apple yanked it as a published feature when they used to. Here is how I got it to work. Well, both ways I got it to work.

Way 1
A) Follow the directions to setup a disk to be accessed while connected to the AEBS. Should be in the help.
B) Mount up the disk in Finder.
C) Go to Time Machine prefs and set it up like you normally would and select the disk as the backup destination. Don't mess with the "Setup Time Capsule" stuff.
From there it should backup whether you have the disk mounted or not. If you don't it will mount it for you then unmount it when it's done.

Way 2 - not too different from Way 1
A) Plug the USB drive into your computer and setup Time Machine to use it. Run a backup.
B) Follow the directions to setup a disk to be accessed while connected to the AEBS. Should be in the help.
C) Mount up the disk in Finder and run a backup.
Again, from there it should backup whether you have the disk mounted or not. If you don't it will mount it for you then unmount it when it's done.

That's how it has worked for me. I have two Mac's backup up this way no problems. Feel free to private message me if you need some more help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.