Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I am looking for a USB-C hub for my bosses MacBook Pro M3 Pro. I did not think this would be difficult but everything I have seen on Amazon will use the MacBook Pro screen and for 2 externals they will be the same image, so not displaying 3 separate screens ultimately. Seems this is no problem if you are on Windows with these hubs.

I need 2 HDMI ports for the screens he uses, no USB-C display ports available. Also need ethernet, but could probably live without the ethernet if that was just not available. Does anyone know of a model that will work for this?

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
MBP M3 only supports a single external display unless you get a USB hub which support DisplayLink. MBP M3 Pro/Max support multiple external displays w/out hub.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
MBP M3 only supports a single external display unless you get a USB hub which support DisplayLink. MBP M3 Pro/Max support multiple external displays w/out hub.
Sorry I missed adding the other "pro" It is a MacBook Pro M3 Pro... can we get pro in there a few more times?

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
You need to look at Thunderbolt Docks, not USB-C Hubs.

MacOS doesn't use Multi-Stream Transport (MST) which is required for DisplayPort monitor daisy chaining (and for separate displays on USB-C hubs).

Maybe one of these?
The first provides 2x HDMI and Ethernet, but does not have device charging. The second has device charging, but would need USB-C to HDMI adapters/cables.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
So even something like this:

which has 2 4K HDMI slots would not send out separate screens? I am a bit surprised at this, never been one for multiple monitors so learning this now as I get the boss setup. He had 2 screens going before on external using one with HDMI and 1 with USB-C thunderbolt. Did not think it would be an issue to do with this with 2 HDMI

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Nope. The product description itself states:
  • Dual 4K@60hz Output: Docking station dual HDMI expands 2 monitors up to 4K@60hz at the same time for seamless multitasking and stunning visuals, boost your productivity. Support up to 8K@30Hz when connected to a single monitor, keeping every incredible moment detailed and ultra-vivid. Note: macOS does not support MST mode. Ensure your laptop support video output and DP 1.4 to get 4K@60Hz
  • (bolded for emphasis)

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
USB-C doesn't have the bandwidth for 2 4K displays @ 60Hz with MacOS. Let alone the ethernet. Which is why you need Thunderbolt docks.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
So my mixup was in USB-C and Thunderbolt naming. From what I see this covers what I need with the ability to run 2 external screens as well as have ethernet and power the M3 Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.