Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
Hi there.

Ever since I have my Macbook Pro I am having an issue here.
I do use my Macbook as desktop in clamshell mode very often, and I use a USB hub for my external keyboard, mouse, headset and webcam, which always worked fine on my Windows PC.

Now, the problem I have is that when I am using my Macbook with the USB hub, I the USB hub (or atleast the devices that are connected to it) stops working for one second, like it is resetting.
For example, when I am going through some videos on YouTube, and I start or stop watching a video, I can hear my headphone turning off for a second, and then the sound will switch to the built in speakers, which is very annoying.
So it only appears to happen when I am doing stuff, like browsing.

What makes it even more strange is when I have continuous sound on (like a Skype call), it doesn't turn off/reset the devices on the USB hub, and stays just on without any problems.
Also, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, since it doesn't happen at all when I am running Windows on my Macbook.

So, might it be some energy-saving setting that is causing this? if yes, where can I disable it?
Would appreciate your help & suggestions.

Thanks!

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
El Capitan, yes?

What's the model identifier of the Mac?

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBookPro10,1 may help.

What make and model is the hub?

What makes and models are the USB devices on that hub? (I don't doubt that software may be amongst the causes of the problem, but it will be helpful to know details.)

It's a Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch early 2013 running macOS Sierra, and it is a Sweex USB Hub.
Although it has nothing to do with macOS Sierra (beta) since it happened with all the previous versions of Mac OS as well.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Make sure you use a powered USB hub with appropriate source power. I always want at least 0.5 Amps @ 5 volts per device plugged.

I like that advice.

Still, a suitably powered hub is not a panacea, and in some cases (we don't yet have a full list of devices that are used by @Joshoon) USB is simply not ideal.

A recollection from 2015: "… the 2005 device was and is more reliable than the 2011 device …".

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
But still, how can this cause issues with macOS only, and not any problem with Windows? I didn't get any further yet :p

EDIT: Found a temporary solution by using Soundflower + Soundflowerbed.
It seems to keep the headset active which avoids the usb hub to reset.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
But still, how can this cause issues with macOS only, and not any problem with Windows? I didn't get any further yet :p

EDIT: Found a temporary solution by using Soundflower + Soundflowerbed.
It seems to keep the headset active which avoids the usb hub to reset.

Isn't it two different computers. Different hardware (or even drivers) means different tolerances in signal loss.

Glad you found a temporary solution.

BTW, on the hardware side you might using two hubs (or at least plugging one device into a dedicated USB port) to split the bandwidth between the USB ports.

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
Isn't it two different computers. Different hardware (or even drivers) means different tolerances in signal loss.

Glad you found a temporary solution.

BTW, on the hardware side you might using two hubs (or at least plugging one device into a dedicated USB port) to split the bandwidth between the USB ports.

Yes and no, I do have two different computers, one Windows computer and one Macbook, but I also run Windows on Mac sometimes, which has no issue with the hub at all.

Using two hubs is not a bad idea, but it seems a bit unnecessary because it does work fine when running Windows, so the single USB port should be fine.
Besides that, with having Soundflower active it's all good, as long as the headset stays active or as long as there is sound being produced by the Macbook (like a video, skype, or any other sound).

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes and no, I do have two different computers, one Windows computer and one Macbook, but I also run Windows on Mac sometimes, which has no issue with the hub at all.

Using two hubs is not a bad idea, but it seems a bit unnecessary because it does work fine when running Windows, so the single USB port should be fine.

That is why I mentioned drivers. They control can control setting on the USB interface chip. So the windows drivers may put out one set of output and OSX another.

But, if Soundflower makes it work then call it a day and carry on.

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
That is why I mentioned drivers. They control can control setting on the USB interface chip. So the windows drivers may put out one set of output and OSX another.

But, if Soundflower makes it work then call it a day and carry on.

Yea you could be right, but that wouldn't be something that we can change ourselves, right? It's probably something built into macOS.
The hub itself is plug 'n play, so no drivers available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.