Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragonball05

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Any suggestions for a good USB hub. e.g. with 4 fast USB ports.. preferably self-powered..

Thanks!!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You don't want a self-powered USB hub with 4 ports. The USB 2.0 ports on your Mac can generally only run 2 devices without power backup. Get a good, powered USB 2.0 hub, Belkin make a 4 port powered hub with one port on the top designed to accommodate an iPod shuffle or any other device without reaching around the back. It also looks kinda like a Mac mini.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=198333

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Yeh belkin all the way!

I brought one of the belkin models with 7 powered USB ports, and they work great! But make sure you get a powered Hub otherwise you won't even be able to run things that you didn't think took any power. I have trouble using the two USB ports on my Apple Keyboard sometimes!

Quick question though to anyone who knows about these things; is there a finite amount of data that you can process through a USB hub? As it effectivly uses just one cable to power and process seven channels, surely if you were to use 7 digital sources (Cameras, vids etc) simultaneously through a USB hub, it would stutter at the huge amount of data?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Maxiseller said:
Yeh belkin all the way!

I brought one of the belkin models with 7 powered USB ports, and they work great! But make sure you get a powered Hub otherwise you won't even be able to run things that you didn't think took any power. I have trouble using the two USB ports on my Apple Keyboard sometimes!

Quick question though to anyone who knows about these things; is there a finite amount of data that you can process through a USB hub? As it effectivly uses just one cable to power and process seven channels, surely if you were to use 7 digital sources (Cameras, vids etc) simultaneously through a USB hub, it would stutter at the huge amount of data?

Most info I've read on sites for external HDDs FireWire and USB mention "daisy-chaining up to 127 devices" so i think one USB port can handle 128 devices - no expert though, correct me if necessary.

dragonball05

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
since i'm getting the apple keyboard and the Dell 24" display, i've decided i have
enough USB ports, and don't need a hub!! i've tried to run the mouse and keyboard through the screen (at a store) and they work. the rest of my stuff
is self powered (printer, etc) and so i don't need to even worry about this part.
problem solved! thanks for all the input though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.